Oosterdam Cruise Review by hwattlew: Good Cruise but Disappointed

Good Cruise but Disappointed

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This was our 3rd cruise with Holland America and the 2nd time on the Oosterdam. Our previous experiences have been wonderful! But this time we felt let down. The activities seemed fewer, the food more limited and not as good, and the service somewhat lacking in the Vista dining room.

We had chosen to sail with HAL based on previous cruises and had convinced friends to go with us due to the high quality of the experience. We felt let down and they made several comments about it wasn't all that special. Lest you think us complainers, we talked with a number of passengers and got the same message.

As to the cruise itself, I absolutely loved Tracey Arm, the Mt Roberts Tram in Juneau and the Rainforest Zipline in Ketchikan. The evening programs were done wonderfully (except for the comic who almost put me to sleep). I was disappointed that they were still running the same acts as they did several years ago. Guess I didn't know they didn't change very often.

Our More room service and dining service were great, it was the breakfast service that was severely lacking. By the 3rd day, we abandoned the Vista dining room and retreated to the Lido deck -- not our first choice.

In the end, we will probably use a different line for our next cruise. Too bad, we have fond memories of earlier Holland America cruises. Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam Large Oceanview Stateroom Main

Usually only do verandah but a member of our party wouldn't go for it so we all ended up with unobstructed ocean view. Rooms were standard and I don't see anything plus or minus compared to other lines. I do like the Princess layout much better. The lighting by the closets was challenging at times and the placement of the safe on a lower shelf made it hard to key in the combination.But again, normal compared to other lines we've been on.

Mount Roberts Tramway

(4)

Loved the ride up and the spectacular view. Added bonus was the movie in the visitor's center along with the family musical group.

Zip-lining

(5.5)

Took the Rain Forest Zip line and thought it was marvelous! Would recommend this as a must do assuming you can handle it physically. I have a slight fear of heights but felt totally safe and loved the personal attention to safety throughout the time we spent there. If I go back, I'll be doing this again.

City Tour

(3)

1 hour bus drive around town - interesting but wish I'd done something else.