Grand Princess Cruise Review by anchorbayDee

Embarkation: San Francisco
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: AA
Cabin Number: c409
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
Close your door if your child is having a meltdown.

First and foremost my friends (3 of us) and myself were 1st time cruisers so we had no clue what to expect. We booked a mini suite for a 10 night cruise to Alaska/Glacier Bay.

Embarkation went very well. We caught the Airport Express "Cruise" bus at Sonoma county airport- about 2 hours drive from where we live. Got our luggage on and away we went, nonstop to the ship terminal where we were dropped at the door and our luggage went on to unload. We didn't see it until it was at our stateroom a few hours later. We got through the boarding process in maybe 1/2 hour and were hanging out on the balcony of our suite.

We finally started our cruise under glorious skies. We went to the buffet for a somewhat disappointing lunch. I don't recall what was offered. I can say it was bland and not a great selection to choose from. But it did fill our bellies.

Went back to our stateroom & had mimosas. Met our room steward and unpacked. Mostly, we sat on our balcony and took in the peacefulness of the ocean. Until (da da daaaa) THE MELTDOWN. There was a small child above us who was very unhappy. (This became the norm on our voyage just about every morning trying to enjoy coffee on the balcony. If not crying, she was asking for mommy mommy mommy mommy... and mommy should have answered her, don't you think?) Anyway, we decided to explore the ship. We found staff to be wonderful and extremely courteous.

Dinner was at Crown Grill. (twice) Absolutely fabulous. Steak was done perfectly and we were treated like royalty. We also ate at DaVincis several times and had great experiences each meal. Buffet for breakfast was ok... but lunch and dinner there was mediocre.

My time at the spa consisted of a hot stone massage, scalp treatment & massage, teeth whitening and eyebrow waxing. All very professional and again, the staff was wonderful.

My biggest regret was not having signed up for any of the excursions. I made due walking around the different ports. Ketchikan was fun, but very commercialized. Haines was absolutely gorgeous, tho quite a bit of walking from the ship. Juneau was just to short of a visit and I didn't go ashore in Victoria.

All in all, aside from to many unattended children running amok, it was a wonderful trip. I will definitely cruise again, and now know more what I will or will not do differently.

Publication Date: 09/14/13