Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by CrescentIsland

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by CrescentIsland
Celebrity Infinity
Celebrity Infinity
Member Name: CrescentIsland
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Harwich
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: C1
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
        Under 3 1.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Great experience...If you have no toddlers!

We went to Norwegian Fjords with Celebrity recently. Overall, everything was great in the ship, the itinerary was simply amazing and the weather cooperated with us throughout the trip! I really recommend this destination to all who would like to see nature at its best! However I don't recommend Celebrity line to those with toddlers as neither the line nor the clientele are toddler friendly. I will wait for few more years for my toddler to grow up before I will sail with them again.

Now some details;

Staterooms; We had a concierge class veranda room. The reason we opted for this was to have some extra room for the baby bed and buggy and to have a balcony. I must say concierge was all a waste as we could not benefit from the amenities at all. Boarding priority was not needed as the boarding for everyone was very smooth, we did not buy any excursions from the ship so no need for concierge, there were afternoon snack service to rooms but you have to be at the room at given time and we never were. So YES for the balcony, NO for the concierge class.

Restaurants; EXCELLENT main dining room Trellis. To be honest you don't need any other restaurant if you have a main one like that. Beautiful presentation, very tasty food, great service, I give 5 stars to the main restaurant! Now I can't say that for the specialty restaurant SS United Stated... We tried it with our elevated expectations from main dining room and were very DISAPPOINTED. It is also quite expensive (45$/person), thank god it was offered free to us for the trouble they caused (see below). Save your money, enjoy Trellis Restaurant; it is free and better than SS. United States :)

Fun Factory; Overall NOT Toddler friendly, they admitted to us; they simply try to avoid toddlers into the Fun Factory as it creates more work for them. There was not enough information on the Celebrity web site about programs for toddlers at 2yo, but it was written there are some programs. Good thing I did not expect a lot, only a room where I can play with my baby. First day I went to check out, they told me "at the sea days toddlers can only come between 12-2pm" at which hour they usually sleep! But considering we had a port every day except 2 I was ok with that. Next day we went (a port day), ah they told me "toddlers can only come when the ship is actually at the port", now I was not happy with this "go away today, come tomorrow" attitude. So I went ahead to complain to customer relations as I believe you must make a point about these things to get them fixed eventually. Then the Fun Factory managers approached us... to apologize? No, to make her case stronger and made us think we shouldn't have complaint about her team. All the explanation around the ship was crowded with older children and every time they accept a toddler inside they must disinfect everything the toddler touch, so they don't accept them often. Her attitude was aggressive and pushy, which made me even angrier! So the situation got elevated... Briefly we avoided the fun factory for the rest of the trip and the customer relations manager apologized. I would not go to Celebrity until my child is at least 8-9yo.

Norwegian Fjords-Excursions; AMAZING places to visit! Here are our highlights;

-Oslo; We had the worst weather there and it was a Sunday, the city empty, rainy and dark... We went to city ourselves, which was very close from the port. Unless you plan the whole day in the city, DO NOT take the HOHO ticket as you can walk to most of the city center monuments and ICE BAR. It was not an impressive city but we really liked the ICE BAR, worth a visit.

-Stavanger; You can just walk to(or even actually see) the old city from where the ship is docked. Very pretty streets and houses. Nothing else interested in the city center.

-Flam; We did take the Train ourselves but with a bit of initiative was involved. Pay attention that even if your ship is the only one docked that day (we checked before and it was the case)they bring tourists by busses from other locations and the train tickets are usually sold out, unless you take the excursion which is more than double the cost. What we did, we bought tickets to a very late (thus available) train, then wait next to the train at an earlier departure until it is 5 min to departure. Then we approach to the ticket guy and say we have a ticket for a later train but if there is any space? We watched this worked on 2 trains including ours! So we boarded on a train that was shown "full" on the screens:) It was worth all the scheming :) TAKE the train at Flam.

-Geiranger; the HOHO bus going to the lake that you can see the glacier was very nice! We had a perfect clear day so could see glacier perfectly, and very nice scenes on the way.

-Bergen; you can walk to the center where you will see very nice medieval streets and 3 min away the Fish Market. WE enjoyed this city more than we thought based on some reviews. Very interesting items are sold at the market such as whale sausages and very brown goat cheese or cloudberry jams :)

You can do a lot of sightseeing in this itinerary by yourself and excursions will cost 2 or 3 times more for similar trips.

Also very importantly the crew at Celebrity was very happy. Compared to the crew we have seen around us at Norwegian Cruise Line, the ones at Celebrity are happier with their work. And you get effected by the difference...We thought this made a huge difference at the experience and we liked it! We will go back to Celebrity again (without a toddler).

Publication Date: 09/13/13