Golden Princess Cruise Review by cruzmann: Great service and a wonderful voyage

cruzmann
Member Since 2005

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Golden Princess Alaska Cruises

Great service and a wonderful voyage

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

I really have to tip my hat to Princess for going out of the way to make our cruise enjoyable after Southwest lost our primary bag and then told us that they do not forward baggage to any of the ports in Alaska because they do not fly there. So, our bag stayed in Seattle for a week once it arrived and we pressed on without it. Princess made us feel special and repeatedly did nice things to make our trip memorable even though they had no responsibility. They provided me with a tuxedo for the formal nights and a pants suit for my wife. they gave us free priority laundry service for as long as we needed to get some extra clothes. They handled the situation as well as I could ever imagine.

As for the cruise itself, the ports were all very nice and our highlight was the trip we took via float plane to Anan Creek to see the bears do their salmon catching thing as the big fish swam and jumped up the rapids. We saw scads of brown bears and black bears and eagles. Momma bear, Papa More bear, baby bears et al. I feel guilty because this was a shore excursion that I planned on my own with the people at the aircraft service because I had someone tell me that Anan was the best place to see all kinds of animals. On the ship others who went on the Princess sponsored tours also said they saw lots of wildlife. In Juneau we went on a simple bus tour including the salmon hatchery but those who went whale watching said it was phenomenal. Took the White Pass Railway in Skagway because my wife had read about the gold rush the last time we were in Alaska.

Tracy Arm was nice too as it led us down a Fjord that reminded me of our trip to Norway.

The naturalist on the ship and the presentation by the first woman to win the Iditarod were both easy to listen to and very informative. Shows were so-so but I think that I am getting beyond caring about the singing and dancing stuff. The comic was a hoot though. Illusionist was competent and thankfully not overdramatic.

Another nice part was that my wife signed up for gluten free dining and the head waiter was the nicest one we have ever met. He made sure that her special dishes were memorable and even had a special gluten free cake (Cheesecake) made for our 40th wedding anniversary instead of the nice cake they usually give people for anniversary and birthday celebrations. I liked the food in the dining room and the buffet although the buffet does not have all of the variations that are available on some of the bigger ships these days. Our last two cruises were on the Crown Princess and I would rate that ship one star higher on the food outside of the dining room itself. We didn't go to either the steak house of the Italian restaurant (try eating gluten free Italian!) so no review on them.

This was our second trip on the Golden Princess so we knew what to expect and the ship has been very well maintained and refurbished. Nice cabin steward helps too as the room was always spotless.

Embarkation and debarkation were painless. Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>