Westerdam Cruise Review by birdiedeb

Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: SC
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment Not Rated
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Westerdam Best Yet For a Specific Reason

We arrived in Seattle a day early. We booked with HAL and stayed at the Fairmount Olympian. Hotel was nice and rated as 1 of the 2 5 star hotels in Seattle. Can't say it was as nice as other 5 stars I've stay at, but it was nice and the staff very helpful. The only thing I found out of line was our breakfast. Breakfast for 2: eggs,bacon,sausage,toast,hashbrowns,diet coke and 1 mimosa was $67.00 not including tip. Trust me, I've had better for much less money.

We booked transfers from the airport to the hotel then hotel to the ship. Both went without a hitch. It's just so easy to book transfers when using HAL.

We got on board around 11:50 and went to check out our cabin then on the lunch in the MDR for mariner members. It was very good and staff attentive.

Cabin - We did something a little different this time, we book a cabin on the back of the ship to try it out. You have a much larger wrap around deck which we were looking forward to for whale watching. Cabin was a bit smaller that the SA category but still plenty enough room. Our pre-orders were waiting in the room and our luggage was there shortly. We enjoyed the sail away on our deck.

Saturday we had dinner in the Lido with some friends we had met on a previous cruise. This was to be a fun time with them again. This was our 3rd cruise to Alaska and our 5th total all on HAL.

Sunday was to start as a normal sea day. Breakfast at the Lido along with Lunch, setting at the Sea View enjoying the fresh air with our friends. We decided to take a nap.

This is the worst part of the trip. My hubby woke me up saying he couldn't breath. He was grey and sweating so I called 911. HAL crew was there in less than a minute or so it seemed. How they got there so fast I don't know. They worked on him a few minutes then took him to the Medical Center. They tried all types of drugs to raise his blood pressure. It was bottomed out. They then where going to intubate him and he went into cardiac arrest. They performed CPR on him for 20 minutes and got him back and somewhat stable. We were out to sea and the seas were rough and too dangerous to move my hubby by Coast Guard helicopter. The captain sped up the ship and got us to Juneau an hour or so early. Ambulance was waiting and took us to the Juneau hospital then by Learjet to Anchorage. He received very excellent care in Anchorage. We spent the rest of the week in the hospital.

HAL's medical team was top notch. The rest of the staff also took excellent care of me. They offered to help me pack, get me food, whatever I needed. I was even able to use their phone to call my daughter and mother.

They took my luggage off the ship and then their port agents shipped it to me in Anchorage and delivered it to where I was staying. The HAL agents in Anchorage either came to see me every day or called offering to do anything for me. The Dr. aboard the ship also called checking on me and my husband.

For this reason the Westerdam was the best yet. They saved my husbands life. For that I will be eternally grateful. I have been a loyal HAL mariner and will continue to be. The crew and staff make HAL what it is. They become like family. I keep up with several of my favorites.

Publication Date: 09/13/13