Carnival Dream Cruise Review by gibby1208: Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My family and I sailed on the Carnival Freedom last year, and the Dream this year. Although the Freedom is slightly smaller, it is very similar to the Dream.

Although sailing with Carnival is virtually a guaranteed great vacation, I did experience a few disappointments this time.

Our dining table was moved twice, and each time to a less desirable location. Although our wait staff was incredible, we did experience some delays and less efficiency than we had on the Freedom. Although no one would say anything, I suspect that this was due to a reduction in the work force, or perhaps a result of more passengers than on the Freedom. Regardless, nothing to complain too strongly about.

I'm not a big gambler, but do enjoy playing the slots. That is, until I visited the Dream's casino. Whereas the Freedom had a wealth of machines, virtually the entire port side of the Dream's casino was given over to table games. In addition, floor space was not well utilized. Playing More on the Dream quickly became boring, and certainly not profitable. From a business perspective, I can understand Carnival's decision to use the floor space more profitably, but that doesn't help the passengers.

Finally, I have to mention how disheartening it is to book a cruise early, only to find the exact same accommodations available for hundreds less, closer to the sailing date. I guess the lesson here is, the second mouse gets the cheese.

On the plus side, I'm afraid there is just too much to list. Of course, all of the Carnival staff that we encountered were friendly and professional. Our adjoining balcony cabins were perfect, and location on the Lido deck made pool and buffet access very convenient. While the ship's appointments are not as "vibrant" as the Freedom's, I found that to be something of a relief.

As expected, the food and entertainment on the Dream uphold Carnival's high standards. I am compelled to recommend the Wok. Usually a bit of a line, but well worth the wait. Also, the steakhouse is just incredible.

if you are a first time cruiser, you will be completely blown away. If you are a vet, there are no significantly unpleasant surprises. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Lido 10240

I prefer the Lido deck, as it is close to the pools and buffet without taking an elevator. Traveling with my wife, daughter and granddaughter made this very convenient. I did not experience excessive noise, but there were over 200 under 12 aged kids on board, so dead silence was not expected. Laundry is on the port side, just a few steps from our #10240 and #10236 cabins. Our balcony staterooms were adjoining, and we enjoyed the expanded balcony space that arrangement provided, once the partition is folded back. Cabins are quite spacious, with carpeted floors, comfortable bathroom and tons of storage. As my granddaughter observed, "it's like our own little appartment."