Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by melcruise4cats: Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Observations

melcruise4cats
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Observations

Sail Date: August 2013

We ordered the bottled water package and could have done without it. The tap water tasted just fine. My husband also ordered the soda package and he did not use it enough to get his money's worth. There are just too many other free beverage options.

1. Service in the main dining room, called the Opus, for breakfast and dinner. Service was outstanding.

2. Dinner in the main dining room. We were pleased with everything we ate, especially the chilled fruit soups that are served as an appetizer. There was a different fruit soup every night and we really looked forward to that.

3. We purchased the 'Central Park Dining Package', which includes dinner at Giovanni's, Chops Grill and 150 Central Park. The food was very good, especially the Mud Pie dessert at Chops and the Bittersweet Chocolate Cheesecake at 150 Central Park. Again, service at all 3 restaurants was outstanding. I'm glad we ate at these restaurants. However, we were always wondering More what we were missing in the main dining room. If we had it to do again, we would probably eat every night in the main dining room. The whole experience of the main dining room, especially on formal nights, was something totally unique to a cruise. Eating at the specialty restaurants cost extra money and the experience was very much like what you would get at a nice restaurant at home.

4. Food at the Park Caf'. This was a great place to get a quick bite for breakfast or lunch. Never ate there at breakfast, but they had great sandwiches for lunch.

5. Food at the Caf' Promenade. Great sweets and sandwiches.

6. Room Service. My husband ordered a burger and fries one afternoon and was very pleased. Food arrived hot and as ordered.

7. Breakfast in the main dining room. You could order from the menu or choose from the buffet, or both. We would usually order from the menu and while we were waiting, would get fruit from the buffet. For the most part, we were always pleased.

8. Being able to swim laps in the Sports Pool. In the early morning, usually 6:30AM to 8:45AM, you could swim laps in the Sports Pool. I loved this because I could get my exercise out of the way and it was really quiet and peaceful.

9. Our room attendant. He kept our room clean and neat and accommodated any special request we might have.

10. Comedy Show (adults only).

11. 'Come Fly With Me' show. Singing, dancing and acrobatics. Very good.

12. Took advantage of early disembarkation where you carry your own luggage off the ship. We were able to have an early breakfast and then walk off the ship before 7:45AM. There was long line to go thru customs but the line moved pretty quickly.

1. Waffles in the main dining room. Whether ordered from the menu or chosen from the buffet, waffles were always limp and soggy.

2. Only amenities in the room were shampoo and bar soap. No hair conditioner or body lotion. Not a big deal if you know in advance to bring your own.

3. Hair dryer. There was no on/off switch. There was a button you held down with your thumb to keep it running. If you took your finger off the button, it stopped working. Kind of hurt your hand if you had to use it for any length of time.

4. Slow elevators and not enough of them. They were really slow when lots of people were trying to use them at one time. Like, when a show let out, or when exiting the ship on an 'in port' day, or if you were going to or coming from dinner. We ended up taking the stairs quite a lot.

5. 'Oasis of Dreams' show. The diving was very good, but there was a lot of prancing around and posing by some of the swimmers/actors. A lot of the time the divers and swimmers were supposed to be in sync but weren't. Performance was very sloppy and sometimes boring. If you have ever seen a real Cirque show in Vegas, you know how it is supposed to be done and this show just didn't measure up.

6. Out of control kids running around the ship. Parents just let their kids loose and relinquished all responsibility and control.

7. Unfortunately, quite a large number of people have no idea about common courtesies and basic manners. This is not Royal Caribbean's fault but if you are thinking of cruising on such a huge ship with so many different nationalities and this kind of thing bothers you, it's better to be prepared for it.

8. There was one exception to the great service we experienced and that was in the Solarium Bistro, which is just a common buffet and not anything the least bit grand. I was sunbathing in the Solarium and I walked into the Solarium Bistro to get a glass of water. I was aggressively confronted and reprimanded by a ship's officer. He was very 'in my face'. I was told I couldn't be in the restaurant with swimsuit attire. He was extremely rude and I was made to feel like a criminal who had committed a major crime. It was an honest mistake on my part and I was not trying to flout the rules.

In the main dining room on formal nights, I saw people in shorts and t-shirts and it was allowed with no problem. And yet, I get aggressively faced down by an officer for wearing a bathing suit into a buffet that overlooks many, many sunbathers? It seems the rules on attire are selectively enforced.

Conclusion

Overall we had a good time. But one cruise on this ship will be enough for us. It's a big ship with lots of people and lots of out-of-control kids. If you are looking for a cruise that's geared toward families with children, you will enjoy this one. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 6 12632

Very good balcony, great bed, below average selection of TV channels, fantastic closet, bathroom small but functional.