Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by tinker51

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by tinker51
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Constellation
Member Name: tinker51
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Amsterdam
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: C2
See More About: Celebrity Constellation Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

A great cruise with a couple of exceptions

Service - I don't think any of the reviews I read criticized the service, that's because the service was wonderful. The staff are mostly young energetic people from many different countries. They're well trained, they care and they're interesting people. I really enjoyed meeting them.

We chose concierge class, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm glad we had a room with a balcony, but you can get that without paying extra for concierge class. The flowers in our room were limp after a few days and not changed, the fruit was just a couple of apples and an orange, the afternoon snacks were a few olives, some peanuts, etc. - you're so full all the time from the wonderful meals, you don't need extra fruit and peanuts. We had a bottle of champagne in our room that we didn't even have time to drink.

I thought the food was great. If you want to go to the Ocean Liner restaurant, go early in your trip and you'll get a pretty good discount. We liked it so much we went later in the trip also. We also ate at the Tuscan Grill and had crepes at the bistro one evening - all wonderful. The main dining room was excellent also. We mostly only ate breakfast at the cafe. We always found plenty of things we liked. The ice cream was not that great because it tended to be crystallized, but the gelato on deck 5 was great. If you go at 4:00 pm you can get 2 for the price of 1.

We had the classic drink package. Neither of us drank enough to make it worth it, but drinks are expensive. We were limited to wine by the glass under $8. This meant we had very few choices because so many items were $8.50. If you want a drink that costs more than your limit, you can't just pay the difference, you have to pay the full amount. We really enjoyed the guys at the martini bar, but we had to pay full price for the martinis because they were $12 each, so I only had one.

I didn't gamble, but the casino looked very nice. I didn't attend much of the entertainment, but I really liked the woman who discussed and showed film clips about how Hollywood portrayed many of the countries we visited. I would have also enjoyed some lectures on the history of the area we were visiting like we had on a previous cruise I did in the Mediterranean.

So now for the big, bad, horrible mess: the internet services. It's a good thing my cruise was 2 weeks ago so I've calmed down a bit about this, but wow, it was a disaster. It was absurdly slow and often didn't work at all. Practically every time I was in the computer room, someone was complaining, sometimes yelling about the service. The operator kept telling the customers it must be them because no one else was complaining. He wasn't very polite (maybe because people were complaining all day) and he was not good at solving problems. It was 75 cents/minute unless you buy $99 worth of minutes, then it's about 50 cents/minute. If you run out of minutes while you're online, it just switches over to the 75 cent/minute charge without asking if you want to continue. I found this out only when I saw it on my bill. Only Apple devices are supported, so I couldn't use my Kindle Fire, I had to go to the computer room to use the internet which was a very unpleasant place because of all the yelling. REALLY? In 2013, they can't do better than that? Their internet service was faster and better when I cruised with them 2 years ago. I'm going to research internet services better before I book another cruise. I don't think Celebrity understands how important this is to people. Unless Celebrity improves in this area, I will not book with them again.

Publication Date: 09/09/13