Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by axelbarnie

Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: C2
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
        13-15 5.0

Fabulous trip with the family

We arrived back from a 12 night cruise on the beautiful Equinox last night and I wish we were still there. It was a smooth short trip in a taxi from Barcelona airport to the port. We arrived very early at around 11am and we were stepping on board at 11.30am very happy to be walking around an empty ship so early. Annoyingly I'd forgotton to pack swim gear in hand luggage which you think I'd have remembered not being a cruise newbie. A 630am flight from Gatwick, UK which was far too early but quickly became just a memory when we were sipping welcome drinks poolside!

I was travelling with my husband and 12 year old son and having cruised Royal Caribbean numerous times I was a bit concerned about whether there would be enough to entertain my son. Although we did miss the iceskating and mini golf & larger arcade area he was lucky enough to hook up with some lovely kids in the X club and enjoy activities on the 3 sea days and in the evenings too.

Concierge Class was worth the extra money in my opinion for the location. We loved being on deck 10 - the library level, sandwiched between layers of cabins so it was nice & quiet. We didnt think much of the canapes - they were quite repetitive and we stopped having them for the last 4 nights. We didnt eat the fruit but we liked the flowers, robes, toiletries etc. I would only book again for the location I think.

We thought the quality of the guest performers were great, we went to all the shows apart from the dance ones as they were too late for us. The house performers weren't as polished or even synchronised as we've seen on royal Caribbean - even my husband mentioned this and he doesn't normally even notice things like that! They were very entertaining none-the-less.

We didn't book any of the ship excursions, they are far too expensive, instead we organised all our own excursions with the help of the lovely people on cruise critic. We went to the meet and mingle and met some lovely people from the boards and we even went on a trip with some of them.

Our Cruise itinerary

22 villefranche

Train to Monaco for Ferrari spotting -we saw 16! Then on to St Laurent du Var station and short walk over to Cap3000 the big shopping centre

23 florence

I booked tickets online to go into & up the leaning tower of Pisa. We took a bus then a train and then another bus to get to Pisa.

24 rome, Civitavecchia

I booked Vatican tickets online and we got a train into Rome and walked to vatican city and toured the museum, the Sistine Chapel and then the church. This was my 12 year olds favourite part of the trip.

25 naples

Together with some other cruise critic people organised brilliantly by Suzysailor on the boards we went on a boat trip to Capri and a trip down the coast taking in Positano and then stopping for a delicious lunch. the weather was terrible unfortunately so I need to go back to see it with the sun shining!

26 seaday

Relax

27dubrovnic, croatia

We'd planned to go in the cable car, have a walk around town and relax on Banju beach. The weather had other ideas though, the cable car was shut so we took '20 cash out in the local currency from the cashpoint at the taxi rank at the entrance to the walled city. (Cabs take euros) we had some icecreams, bought some Pringles and softdrinks for our stateroom and headed back.

28/29venice

Wow, wow, wow! We had an amazing time. Make sure you are on the top deck for sail in, it is jawdropping, i grabbed a sunlounger on the deck overlooking the helipad at the front of the ship and had a prime view. We got off the ship and there was a fast water bus direct to St Marks that was cheaper than the ships shuttle. We walked around St Marks and went in the church and then walked all the way back to the start of the people mover by following signs for Ple Roma via Rialto bridge. Second day we got the people mover and then took Vaporetto 1 all the way from start to finish what got 3 seats right at the front and had a prime view for all the best sites. It was fab.

30 kotor, montenegro,

I looked on Trip Advisor and booked a private motor boat tour around lady of rock & Perast. Then the boat dropped us at Dobrota, where we collected Kayaks and we slowly kayaked back to the port. It was with Kotor Connect and cost 100 euros for the three of us. It was a great way to see our second favorite port of call. Sail in was stunning, we booked breakfast on our balcony for 8am and watched the amazing scenery unfold around us.

31/1 seadays and relax after so many countries in such a short space of time.

Publication Date: 09/09/13