Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by skahead: Great but no 2nds in the MDR from my Waiter

skahead
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Great but no 2nds in the MDR from my Waiter

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

I was on the ship too.

Ship

The ship was one of the nicer ships that I've been on with true wood in a lot of areas that other lines would use plastic or simulated wood. While the cabin has some signs of age in the bathroom, the ship looked in good health.

Shows

The shows was very good and although I was a bit upset that the illusionist fell ill, but enjoyed the backup that they flew in midway through the cruise. The production shows are nice but I felt they needed more of a story to them. The 54 on broadway singer they brought in was a great singer but needed some more variety.... he was better suited for one of the bars on the ship.

Educational speaker

This was a bit of a joke and a true blemish to the celebrity line. The speaker did not provide any educational value and lacked content in his lectures. The 3rd speech in his series was down to ~25 people, I stopped by to count.

Food

The food was great as expected on a celebrity cruise. The one upsetting part is that according to my waiter the MDR will not allow for 2nds anymore. There were several times where I tried and was ignored. For example, I love baked Alaska.. I asked for it every night hoping I'd get lucky. On baked Alaska night I begged for a 2nd piece from the start of it. No luck from the waiter... however, one of my table mates hated baked Alaska and since there were no other options they gifted me theirs. Not sure if it was my waiter, but this would keep me from doing another celebrity cruise again.

1 night we did eat at Normande and although the service was a bit overwhelmingly in your face (not bad, but pushy,) the food was fantastic. I'm not sure if I'd recommend as its hard to say the food was worth the extra cash; however, it is worth trying if you've never been.

Daytime activities

Of all the cruises I've been on this one seemed to lack many of the daytime activities I'd come to love. There was a vast reduction in the amount of bingo games.

Game show activities were limited to late late night only.

Trivia was good; however, I kept missing the good ones.

Drink packages

This was well worth the $400. Here was a daily day for me.

4-5 bottles of water

1 cup of fresh juice

3 cups of lattes (2 in the morning, 1 after dinner)

2-3 glasses of wine (all at dinner)

2 predinner drinks (mainly throughout the day prior to dinner)

2 after dinner drinks

The only issue I had was in Normande were they would not sell me any wine under $12 and would charge me the difference. Good wine though.

-----

Overall

The ship was a lot of fun... clean.. and amazingly friendly staff. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>