Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by SoccerTraveller: A great ship, a great island, too bad they can't cook

SoccerTraveller
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Bermuda Cruises

A great ship, a great island, too bad they can't cook

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Boston

Embarkation: very good - fast, efficient, only issue is the distance from parking to the terminal.

Stateroom: very good - we had two rooms, mini-suite and an inside room, both were well maintained and provided us enough space to relax. It should be noted that mini-suites on deck 11 have larger balconies we was a great bonus. I also loved the overhang from the deck above that provided shade on the balcony. Sun lovers may not like this but for us it was great! my only complaint was that the mattress was extremely hard but it did not prevent me from sleeping.

Stateroom Service: very good - our steward was very good and attentive. He did a great job.

Bar Service: very good - drinks were mixed well appropriate balance of mix and alcohol. Servers were friendly.

Food taste and quality: this is where NCL is lacking. The food in both the main dining rooms and the speciality restaurant, Le Bistro, that we tried was very sub-par. While all of the food was More server hot the taste of all beef dishes - steaks, prime rib, tenderloin - they all tasted the same, lacked flavour and seemed to be very poor quality beef. All of the good meals that I did have on board were chicken or turkey. The lobster on the first night was good. I had read a lot of reviews talking about how great wings in the Blue Lagoon restaurant were but I was not impressed. They were just breaded wings that someone had dumped sauce on. Overall, the food was edible but was by no means great.

Entertainment: the comedy acts, Tim Kaminski and Second City were awesome. Went to the opening night show to see the Norwegian Singers and Dancers. To put it simply they were terrible. they were not working as a team. We skipped their shows for the rest of the week. My entertainment score for the comedians is a 5.

Overall, if NCL fixed there food issues I would sail with them again as the rest of the experience was very good but my overall and value for money score is low due to the very poor food quality. Disney and Princess could teach NCL a think or two about food. Give me Disney/Princess quality food with the rest of this experience I was would given NCL a 4+ Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 11536

Bermuda is an absolutely great island there is lots to do. we went the two different beaches, the caves, and transportation by ferry and bus is easy. I'll definitely be going back to Bermuda.