Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by piterburg: Disappointment

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Disappointment

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

First of all I would like to start by mentioning that I have been to several cruises prior none of which were with Norwegian cruise line. To my knowledge NCL considered to be on high end side compare to some other cruise lines (Ex. Carnival). That is not however the case in reality.

Overall ship did not impress with its interior and was extremely over crowded. Pool area was seriously challenged by the lack of seating space. I would suggest this ship is re-assigned a different itinerary, as Bermuda route spends way too many days at sea and use of pools is higher than. Too many activities require extra fees.

More specifically:

Customer Service - most of the time I spoke to Customer Service they did not seem to be knowledgeable. For example my questions about dinner package which customers could book at the ship via touch screens, revealed that agents are not familiar with the system, nor the package. Furthermore, dinner reservations are covered by separate More desk. If you have time conflicts between dinner and show reservations, prepare to bounce between two different desks.

Stateroom - We decided to go with the unassigned room. Traveling with 2 kids (youngest being 2.5 year old), we found from the agent that one of the kid beds will be a cod. This would work for us. What we were assigned was a cabin with two bunker beds. Furthermore both of them were positioned above main bed. Frankly speaking I fail to understand what is the point to inquire about child age if you unable to place little kids on age appropriate bed. Having 4000 people aboard the ship, they were not able to assign any different rooms. I also find it misleading that none of the photos on ncl.com show that particular room setup.

Kids programs - We did not make much use of the program, as we could only leave our 8 year old couple of hours at a time. Program does not allow you to leave a child for more than that unless you pay extra fees for private babysitter.

Dinning - Most of the restaurants you have to pay for extra. Several complimentary restaurants are available. The sad thing is that they have same menu. Buffet food was good.

In conclusion, Breakaway has way too many issues to address. I would not recommend it unless you traveling without kids and/or willing to spend extra money. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>