Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Joopman: Captain is Lazy

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Southern Caribbean Cruises

Captain is Lazy

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

First overall observation upon arrival . . . A lot of visible rust. LED stair lighting missing on multiple steps around pool area. I can assume one of only two things - the Captain does not practice MBWA or the Captain does not care. THERE IS NO OTHER AVAILABLE EXCUSES.

Cabin - extremely clean and presentable.

Nightly show themes - TERRIBLE . . . Mid-week literally featured Motown night #1, Motown night #2, and then Michael Jackson night. Does anyone else notice a pattern there? I must ask, "Why"?

I counted 12 hot tubs. W O W !!! No, wait. Not a single hot tub available for use for any of the 8 days. They were roped off with a sign saying that the crew was sorry, but the tub was temporarily out of service for chlorination. Nice sign, but each stayed completely empty and the sign was filler space for us nobodies who need not question the crew.

The cabin television - three carnival channels with screens showing out of service . . . Four locals . . . More Two news . . . One carnival channel that continuously showed the day-1 show the entire week . . . The channel showing the current wind speed and direction in relation to the ship. According to this channel, we had ZERO winds for the entire trip. There was also the ship excursion channel that was never updated. On day-8, they were still advertising all of the expired tours.

Breakfast started each day, bright and early at 7:30AM. On the first morning, I made it to the lido grill at 6:30 AM. I asked and was told it would open at 7:00. I hung around and was told it would open at 7:30. I stuck around until 7:37 SHARP for the breakfast to begin. I did enjoy myself watching all of the disappointed people showing up prior to 7:37 wanting to eat. Disappointed people seem to not be of much concern any more.

Around day 6 or 7, I made it back down for the 7:30 breakfast. At 7:32, I watched a lady become somewhat vocal about the time. I approached her and agreed with her on the disappointing 7:30 breakfast time. A female worker from behind the service line commented that if we did not like it, we should take our complaints to the guest services desk. I chose to ignore her, instead of entering into a debate with service staff.

Before the cruise, I pre-purchased 3 six-packs of sodas for the cabin @ $10 each a six-pack. In the cabin, I found 2 clear bags with 1 six-pack in each. One missing and one of the two bags had a busted soda with soda a half inch deep in the bottom of the bag. I went to the guest service desk to get my 3rd six-pack. The clerk spent around 10 minutes looking at computer screens, trying to verify the 3rd six pack was legit. It was determined that this would have to be elevated to a regional supervisor for resolution. I explained that I had just purchased a $60+ soda card on the ship. I am getting free sodas for the duration of the trip, but I would like my $10 six-pack for in-cabin refreshment. Later that day, a supervisor called our room to advise that her records indicated that 3 six-packs were delivered to the cabin. I laughed and advised that she was wrong. She then advised that a six - pack would be delivered. It was and this is still funny. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Panorama 1019

No complaints on this cabin. No loud noises. The AC was not cooling the first night. It was miserable. The system got cooler each night.

Arrived at 2:00 PM and departed at 10:30 PM. Decided to take our time and exited the ship at around 5:00 PM. When we made it ashore, the shops in town closed at 5:00 PM. The only things left open were the small shops near the pier. We know for next time.

Read 502 Curacao Reviews