Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by bphman

Embarkation: other
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: S2

The Old Celebrity is Making a Comeback

We just returned from a quick 7 day cruise from exotic Bayonne to Bermuda. We live about 15 miles from the port so it was a breeze for us getting there. Check-in was quick and painless. We arrived at the port around 10:30 since I had to drive my daughter to Penn Station in Newark at nine and we just kept going. We got on the ship at 11:30 and went to the Lido for lunch. Our first impression is that the ship is very pretty and in fine shape.

We had a Sky Suite that was nice but nothing great. We did enjoy some of the little perks. We had a suite and had breakfast in Blu every morning. We had dinner in Blu one night at the request of Mazy, the Maitre d', who was our waiter n the Galaxy 13 years ago. He is fantastic. We only had the suite because there was a fire sale and the price of the suite was quite a bit less than our original AQ. Since we couldn't get any money back, they upgraded us to the suite.

We had a free dinner in Normandie and I would have to say that it was not worth $45. We barely got our menu and the waiter wanted our order. I stated that I wanted to order our wine first and he said that the sommelier was very busy and she had an attitude. I ordered the duck and my wife ordered the lobster. The waiter screwed up our order and tried to blame me but, since I am deathly allergic to shellfish, I told him that I never would have offered lobster. I hate people who don't take accept their mistakes. Duck was OK at best but way too salty. The rest of the food on the ship has improved quite a bit since our last cruise although the Lido was not good. We enjoyed the MDR, Bistro on Five for lunch, and the pizza. When we first cruised Celebrity, the food service was by Apollo and it was outstanding. When RCI took over, the quality plummeted. I am happy to report that they are working hard to improve things and it shows but it still has a ways to go.

I must say that the entertainment was very good. There seemed to be more daytime activities than other lines and we did enjoy the shows. This was the first time they had a matinee show on any ship. James Stephens III was the headliner and was great. The illusionist fell ill so they brought on a juggler who was entertaining.

I found the ship in good shape. No real signs of aging and the crew kept everything shining. My main criticism is the design of the shops. There was always a log jam because the passageway was very narrow.

We are only Select but I found the perks to be a nice touch. I did use a lot of the coupons. The wine tasting was OK and it gave us an opportunity to meet people.

I booked our next cruise on board, something I have never done, because I got extra OBC. I will have to see what our TA will do for us. If nothing, I may transfer it back to Celebrity. I usually don't use a TA but I got a good deal this time. Looking forward to Iceland and back to AQ. I wish it were an S class but we really enjoyed the classiness of the Summit so I am sure we will like Infinity.

We had stayed away from Celebrity for a number of years because, when their fleet was small, they cruised summers in Europe and Alaska and the winter in the Caribbean. It was not conducive to family travel as other lines. Now that we sail alone and have some more latitude we are back and happy.

Publication Date: 09/08/13