Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by eaglesfan5034: Breakaway 8/25/13

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Breakaway 8/25/13

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Embarkation:

We took a limo from South Jersey to pier 88. We had no problems we arrived around 12pm (a little later then I wanted to but still ok) Embarkation went pretty smooth. We were on the boat around 1230pm we were traveling with a total group of 7.

Staterooms:

Upon arrival onto the Ship we went right to our Staterooms Balcony Deck 10. We were lucky our main bed was by the sliding glass door the room was bigger then I remember on past ships. we had 2 large drawers under the sofa bed and all of our luggage stored well under our bed. plenty of shelf space in the Closet and hangers to hang dresses and suits. Bathroom shelf space was Great shower was wonderful (never felt closed in) they did have a hair dryer in the room and it was full power not like a travel dryer it was much better then that. We did have to get used to the power and air situation we put a dummy card from our last cruise in the power switch and our Cabin Stewart left it in there for the More week his was Great (Eric) was his name the only other issue in the cabin was when you open any door in your room for an extended period of time the air shuts off and I mean after 30 seconds. I know why they do it but it is somewhat of an annoyance. We had one other minor issue we blew the fuse the first night and had to wait for matience to fix the problem they came up with in 30mins and flipped the fuse (which is not in any of the rooms its behind a panel in the hallway) but it seemed several people did that the first day/night. after they we had no issues in our cabins .staff was very friendly and our Stewart again was AWESOME.

Food (and Specialty Restrants):

We went to the Garden Cafe for breakfast and some lunches some days were more crowded then others but that is to be expected with over 6,000 people on board including staff. Ok sorry to get off track back to the food...We did try the Manhattan room food was ok but we walked out because service was too slow 2 and half hrs for dinner is just too long for me we left with out dessert and they never refilled our drinks its not the staff fault it is a management issue we did complain to the manger and she sent free wine and fruit to our rooms and told us the next time we go to the Manhattan room to let her know and service would be better. BUT we did not go back do to the poor service we liked to be caterted to so we booked speciality Resturants for the remainder of the trip for dinners. I did however give Savor and Taste a try for Breakfast I was there early so I had no problem with the service but I did notice when I was leaving after my meal it was getting crowded and I believe service was becoming slower ( but as I said before they just dont have enough service personnel for this size of a ship. We also ate at O'Sheenans a Great place for food as long as it is not Breakfast vey limited. We did do pizza in the room one night it was good worth the 5 dollars to deliver it to the room. Ok we ate at the Italian resturant 2 times which was good and worth the 15 dollar service charge. We also ate at the Cagney's (30pp 15pp for kids under 13) LOVED IT FOOD AND SERVICE (JANICE) WOULD GO AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT BUT WE WAITED TO LONG TO BOOK MORE RESERVATIONS. The other steakhouse Brizillian was ok I am not much of that type of streak house but the people in my party loved it 20pp all you can eat and we had a 15yr old boy with us so he ate alot! (SERVICE WAS ALSO GREAT (ANDREW) WAS OUR SERVER THERE !!! 3 of us did the Circque Dinner show which was 40pp and no discount for kids you had a set meal steak, potatoes,veggies and dessert it was ok but the show was good. We had Sweets from Carlos several times the prices were pretty good and the pastries were Great along with the Galato's (italian Ice Cream) we also paid for speciality coffee a few times which was good. That is my take on the food in review if you want to be treated like royalty then you need to pay for it in the speciality resturants. We had that Idea going into this cruise since we read the reviews.

Pools:

Crowded but we did not have to get up early to get deck chairs if you were there by 10am you were good. also hot tubs crowded. We went at night a few nights they were open until Midnight on most nights and that was fine for us.

Kids Pools:

Past by and looked good but did not travel with little kids (but we will next year)

Sports Deck and Rope Corse and Rock Climbing:

Sports deck was always crowded and Rope Course always a line and I think they need to have better hrs should be open from 9am-8pm every day but continuous. it was very broken up with the times they were open. in port they did have a couple of night time rope course hrs until 10pm which was nice.

Water slides:

Min wt 100lbs. Max wt. 300lbs same for the rope Course the water slide lines were long but well worth the wait and on port days no lines at all keep that in mind.

Mini Golf:

It was nice under the Ropes Corse but they need more golf balls and should have a system unused clubs never made it back into containers they were just lying around the course.

Summary:

all the the above mentioned were included in the price of the cruise no extra charge I would suggest at the beginning of the Cruise you sign the wavier for all of the above one time thing good for all week must sign your kids up in order for them to do the above acitivities

Kids Club:

we traveled with 2 12yrs olds and one 15yr old 2 girls one boy we signed them up first day and the 15yr old could sign himself in and out the 12yr olds if you wanted could sign themselves out however if they did they had to stay a min. of 2hrs unless parents signed them out that could be done at anytime. However they did look at the list of things to do and decided not to go to the kids club activities. I think that is our kids issue not a problem with the clubs themselves.

Entertainment:

ONE WORD FABULOUS!!!!! The only thing I have to get used to is reserving tickets it was all included but you must book early we went on monday to book all the shows we wanted to do. We did Burn the FLoor very good my daughter liked it and Rock of Ages WOULD SEE AGAIN AND AGAIN IF I COULD our kids went 2 12yr old girls and 1 15yr old boy and it was fine for them. the dancers,singers and actors were GREAT!!!! we also did the Michael Finny he was also very good we would see him again and we saw 2nd City which was also good. The only thing I didn't like was some of the games that were held in the atrium should have been held in the Theretre because the atrium was way too small for some of the events (poor planing NCL you need to fix that) also a must Howl at the Moon they were also good.

Bermuda:

This was our second time in Bermuda and we LOVED IT AS ALWAYS we Bought Bus/Ferry passes for 3 days worth the money. The ship will tell you to book with them anything you want to do book when you get off the boat at the information desk at the Royal Dock Yard they are very helpful and know what they are talking about. We went to Horseshoe Bay Beautiful we also went to the lighthouse and the kids walked up it for 2 dollars pp and they have great views of the island and a nice gift shop. Our last find was glass beach they will not tell you about it but if you ask they will give you the information there are only 3 of them in the world you cannot take anything off that beach but is was Breathtaking Its a 5 min bus ride from the dockyard. We also did the musuem at the dockyard which was nice very historic and we went to St George which was very nice alot to see for your History buffs. Also Snorkel park was nice 5 dollars to get it but we hit that the last day around 1pm and they only charged us for one person very nice great place to snorkel pretty empty they do have a bar and beech chair rentals but the sand is rocky not soft like other places. we will be coming back for a 3rd time.

Summary of the trip:

We had a GREAT time and would go again we really didn't have any problems as for the complaints that others had with regards to smoking (as a non smoker) I do think you should not be allowed to smoke on the Balconies. BUt for the most part it was ok not really to bothersome as the week progressed however it did bother me more but not enough to bother my Vacation. We had a Wonderful time and would do the Breakaway again even with all the people. Any questions feel free to contact me thanks:) hope this review was helpful to you all. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 10850

Our cabin Deck 10 midship was" Great Balcony was tiny" but worked "Quiet location" " Bathroom Big"

The port was Great as always this was our second time. Easy to get on and off the Boat for those 3 days everyone very Friendly Information desk at kings wharf very helpful. Get a bus/Ferry pass worth the money 35 dollars for 3 days does both ferry and buses. book anything you need off the boat its Cheaper and you will be good last day try to stay in the dockyard that way you are sure to get back to the boat. The staff in this port were WONDERFUL AND VERY FRIENDLY!!!