Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by dax_thornhill

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by dax_thornhill
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: dax_thornhill
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
        3-6 5.0
        7-9 2.0
        10-12 2.0
        13-15 2.0

Enjoyed our trip on the Breakaway
If you ask me: would you do this trip again... I would certainly answer "yes".... But my kids would avoid the kids club!!

Overall, we had a great time on the Breakaway.

Pros/strong points:

• Excellent onboard entertainment

• Excellent food and included restaurants

• Excellent amenities and options/activities on this vessel (e.g. bowling, obstacle course, rock wall, mini golf, water slides, trampoline, etc....)

• Lovely spa

• Very reasonable wine package prices and good options

• Brilliant outdoor dining promenade (deck 8)

Cons/Week points:

• This was our 6th cruise, and first with Norwegian. We didn't enjoy the so called "Free style"... I feel we had to plan and book things much more than any other cruise we have taken in the past, or there was a good chance we would miss out on an overbooked activity/dinning option. Also, the onboard booking policies are simply stupid! For example: we went to see Rock of Ages at 7.30pm, and had a 9pm dinner reservation. At about 7pm I realized the times would conflict (as Rock of Ages is 1hr45 long), I called to change my booking, and was advised that they don't change bookings after 5pm on the day??? Another example, my 12 year old son signed himself in to the kids club for an activity based on the published agenda. Shortly after signing in, the councillors announced the agenda had changed. Since the new arts and crafts activity had no appeal to him, we wanted to leave...... the councillors forced him to stay 2 hrs (the minimum time before being able to check out again). This silly policy and boring kids agenda resulted in my kids hating the kids club..... which was a big reason why I choose cruising!!!!

• Kids did not enjoy the kids club (boring activities, slow sign in process and worn out councillors)

• Main swimming pool area is tiny and always over crowded (designed for a boat with half the number of passengers)

Recommendations:

• Deck 8 has a beautiful wrap around promenade. It was always quiet and peaceful. It's a great place to get some space.

• You can book almost all excursions from reputable operators as soon as you disembark in Bermuda. The one operate gives you 15% off if you hire jet ski's at 8 am.

Publication Date: 09/08/13