Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Princessbunnie: Carnival Five Day Cruise to Canada (August 2013)

Princessbunnie
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Carnival Five Day Cruise to Canada (August 2013)

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Carnival Glory 5 day cruise from Manhattan to Canada.

..Arrive early on the day of your cruise. We were on board shortly after 11 am and eating lunch. Ship does not leave until 4 pm. The check-in process was a breeze because we arrived so early. We arrived by 10 am at the terminal.

...Front of ship best place to see Manhatten skyline and Statue of Liberty at sailing time. Go high as plexiglass blocks view.

...This was a budget cruise and we had very low expectations. We were all pleasantly surprised. Very good value for the money.

...Come on ship ready to swim. Rooms not accessible until 130.

Luggage does not arrive at rooms for few hours. While waiting you can swim.

...Bring a water bottle for the health club. They only have water fountains.

...They had 2 comedians on ship. They had family shows and adult shows. 15 year old boys in our group loved kid shows.

...The Cruise Director Matt Mitcham and his staff get More an A+ for entertainment. They put on shows such as the Newlywed Game, 60 Second Callenge, trivia and Karaoke. Adults in our group loved the Karaoke. Enjoyed these shows much more than the named entertainment. Given the popularity of reality TV. I think Carnivalshould do more of this type of entertaining.

....Several folksy singers on board. They played by pool, in piano bar and in lobby. Loved it! Dave at Piano Bar the best. You can request songs from his songbook of 3000+ songs and even outside book.

....Soda and water not included in pay one price. Do not get the pay-one price deal to cover the cost. Lemonade and ice tea available at least until 1 am on 9th floor of ship and drink water with dinner.

...Smoking allowed in Casino and smoke flows out of Casino into other parts of ship. I even smelled smoke in my room. No doors on Casino to keep smoke in that room. I will not go on another Carnival Cruise unless company fixes this problem.

....Pace yourself with the food. Personal trainers in health club claimed (now remember they were trying to get my business) that the typical vacationer gains 7 to 14 pounds in 5 days. By second day my stomach was in knots. Go to sit-down meals as much as possible rather than buffets. Carnival really tries to keep things clean but I got sick anyway. In fact 3 of the 5 of us got sick. Two with colds and one throwing up.

.....Food very plentiful on ship. Many choices for dinner which is sit down. Diners are allowed to order more than one entree appetizer dessert etc. and they took advantage of this. Food edible. Lots of fish red meat chicken, veggie dishes and crazy dishes such as frog legs. Warm bread. Lobster night was yummy. Avoid the scrambled eggs at breakfast buffet. Runny and super salty. 24 hour pizza ice cream available. Burgers available all day. Our group loved the burgers and fries. After dinner they also have sandwiches fruit and cookies until 1 am. For breakfast and lunch they have a plentiful entree salad and dessert buffet. Also for breakfast/brunch they have a sit down meal which is very good. On Halifax port day sit down breakfast was rushed because they said they were being inspected by local health inspector. I do not know if this is always the case.

....Carnival staff all very professional. Ship very clean. They frequently drain the pools and hot tubs and wash them down.

....We had a full ship but plenty of room for everyone. Many lounge chairs. Carnival provides nice swim towels but they are provided in the room and you are responsible for bringing back to room or you get charged.

...Teenagers loved Movie Night outside by pool. Fluffy soft blankets available.

...Adults head to Serenity deck. Lounge chairs and nesting chairs with cushy cushions great.

....My teenage son and his friend both 10th graders had a great growing up experience on this boat in that they regularly stayed out until about 1 am. Carnival usually has a sport event such as basketball around 12 midnight. On the other hand they were also somewhat bored on this ship. More active activities needed for the active kids at night. Last night of cruise they spent a lot of money in video arcade. I noticed that many of the lounges on the Promenade Deck were empty at night. Carnival should covert some of these lounges into more active style rooms such as ping pong table rooms and pool rooms. I noticed that the only ones using the pool table in the smokey casino were the teenagers and young adults. They should move that table.

...Halifax Nova Scotia a real gem. We ate lunch at the "Bicycle Thief" a great restaurant right on the water 5 minutes from the ship. I had lobster roll and the most delicious vegetables and the boys had the best burgers that they ever tasted. They had delicious homemade bread with hummus dip that was very good. They also had free Wi-Fi so that was good too. The bill including tax and tip was about 25 dollars a person. Worth every penny. My 15 year old son did a Segway tour. 20 dollars for 30 minutes. He loved it and the vendor was very nice. 3 hour Excursion to Halifax and Peggy's Cove not to be missed but should be longer. Guide Donna was excellent.

...St. Johns day. Not a great city but the locals are very nice. Visit souvenir tent right near ship. Cohen's Emporium has vintage license plates for sale. Really cool. I was about to buy a New York 1964 World's Fair License Plate. I turned my head for one second and someone grabbed it. Also baseball memorabilia. Right next to Cohen's is a woman who sells 100 year old ceramic beer bottles that were excavated from the site of a brewery that burned down with the rest of the city about a 100 years ago. We took a cab ride to Reversing Falls which cost us about 35 dollars round trip for the 5 of us including tip. The phenomenon was interesting but the scenery was horrible as the tourist sight is right across from a paper mill. However there were two activities at this sight for the adventurous. Zipline over the river. Very high up. I did not have the nerve to do it but those who did looked like they were having a blast. Wear pants because people who wore shorts complained of chafing on their thighs. There was a speed boat that took passengers through the Reversing Falls. Not a water fall but a "drowned water fall". Waterfalls are under the river. The people that went were thoroughly soaked even though rain gear was provided. However they said it was great. So bring your boots change of clothes and do it! Someone said they went on a kayak clambake outing and loved it.

.....Stewards cleaned room twice a day. What I did not know is that ever time I put tag on door that said "Cruisin' "this was the signal to the Steward that the room needed cleaning even above and beyond the 2 regular times. The poor man was going into our room 3 or 4 times a day.

....We went on Canada cruise in late August. Pack jeans sweatshirts with hoods and rain gear. It was in the low 60s at St. Johns. On the higher decks of the ship it was often cold and windy. Pack sweaters to put on over nighttime dinner wear. Air conditioning makes some rooms very chilly.

.....Many people dressed fancy for formal night. Men wore nice suits and woman beautiful short dresses. We were not a fancy group. Two women in our group wore t-dresses/skirts. Men/boys in our group for formal night wore docker beige or navy pants, button down shirts or izod style shirts and dark sneakers. For casual formal they wore cargo shorts and izod type shirts. Women in our group wore T-shirt skirts or nice yoga pants or capris and a nice top. First night for dinner was come as you please.

......We had a balcony. Worth extra money. Watched sunrise from balcony. Saw NewYork skyline as we returned to New York. My room was beautiful and roomy enough. Bed comfortable. Other family we were with complained of boat rocking at night while they tried to sleep. This I did not notice but could have been because we were in back of ship.

....We were assigned a table for dinner in back of Platinum Dining-room 3rd floor which is in back of the ship. Our table right over engine-room. Several diners at our table complained of sea sickness because of this. Noticeable vibrations during dinner. Ask for seating in front part of Platinum Dining-room or ask for Golden Dining-room but not as nicely decorated. Seating is assigned before you arrive on first day of cruise. Try to book early to get better seating.

...Getting off ship easy but we had to wait about one and half hours after breakfast. Very organized. You can carry your own luggage off as long as it is not oversized otherwise you have to put your luggage outside your door by 12 midnight the night before with tags on luggage given to you by the ship. The tags have numbers on them. Next day you cannot get off the ship until your number is called. We had 18 which means that we had to wait awhile. We were on the 7th floor of ship in the back. I do not know what areas had lower numbers. However, the wait was not unpleasant. We had to vacate our rooms by 8:30 am and we had our choice to wait in several comfortable places both inside ship and on-deck. We put blue ribbons on our luggage so that we could easily find the luggage at zone number 18 when we got off ship. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Upper

7447. Corner balcony in back of ship. Loved it. No complaints. Nice size balcony. Two chairs and one lounge chair. Sometimes wind whistled through balcony door. However, we stuffed paper into lock and stopped whistling. Only complaint.

Peggy's Cove

(4)

Peggy's Cove is a beautiful fishing village. Not to be missed. We took the 3 hour tour. Our guide Donna was very knowledgeable about Halifax and Peggy's Cove. I enjoyed every moment of the trip. Reason why I give the excursion only a 4 is that they only give you 1 hour at Peggy's Cove to explore. I wanted to stay longer and enjoy a nice outdoor lunch while enjoying the sea air.

...St. Johns day. Not a great city but the locals are very nice.
down with the rest of the city about a 100 years ago. We took a cab ride to Reversing Falls which cost us about 35 dollars round trip for the 5 of us including tip. The phenomenon was interesting but the scenery was horrible as the tourist sight is right across from a paper mill. However there were two activities at this sight for the adventurous. Zip line over the river. Very high up. I did not have the nerve to do it but those who did looked like they were having a blast. Wear pants because people who wore shorts complained of chafing on their thighs. There was a speed boat that took passengers through the Reversing Falls. Not a water fall but a "drowned water fall". Waterfalls are under the river. The people that went were thoroughly soaked even though rain gear was provided. However they said it was great. So bring your boots change of clothes and do it! Someone said they went on a kayak clambake outing and loved it.