Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Staci0615

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Staci0615
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: Staci0615
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: BA
        7-9 2.0

Not Impressed at all- NCL you may have lost a customer

Background...It was my husband, my daughter -9 and me. We are both in our later 40's and she is an only child.

I had originally booked an inside guarantee for this last week before school started because it was the least expensive option. Was assigned an inside cabin on deck 11 towards the aft. Three weeks prior to sailing got a call from NCL offering me an upgrade to a balcony for 350.00 more. After hemming and hawing with my husband(I'm the cheap one) decided to go for it. It was the Best decision ever. So at sailing we were in Cabin 14326...Deck 14 considered a BA-which is mid ship but it was closer to aft. We were near the aft elevators.

The Good and the Okay

Our cabin location-Loved being close to the elevators and the buffet-Cabin was not noisy, Except for fireworks.

The Food...It varied from very good the first night in Taste. Very good in the specialty restaurant Moderno and usually very good in the Garden Cafe. Okay most other places...selection was not that good though.

The Entertainment- I loved Rock of Ages, but then I have seen the Broadway version 2x as well as the movie. Not quite as good as Broadway but an extremely impressive effort. Burn the Floor was pretty and the dancing superb. Cirque Dreams was AWESOME- but I hated looking down to cut my food( meal was okay- you are paying for the show). Second City was good if you like inprov..but the design of Headliners sucked. Unless you were in the front row you ended up watching screens and you missed half the jokes. We paid for the Dysfunctional Family reunion lunch-Not a good value in my opinion. Meal was eh..only two choices chicken or salmon. And It was like all the other second city shows. Only saw Howl at the Moon the last night wasn't impressed and left after about a half hour. Slam Allen was not on our sailing-did not go see the the replacement. We participated in trivia and did a digital scavenger hunt-that was actually pretty fun. Also did an arts and crafts project.

The Bad...

Lack of information- Heard there was cupcake decorating and cake decoration classes - But by the time I found out where and how much, They were sold out.

Wanted to eat at Le Bistro but they were also booked solid. (Even though another guest was comped a meal there, after I was told no way and I was going to pay) This Really irked me enough that I went to guest relations. No satisfaction was given to me and I left the ship with that bad taste in my mouth from the experience.

My poor daughter waited on line for the Rock Wall for an hour only to have it rain(she was next) they shut it down and never reopened it. It only rained for 10 minutes. and they could easily have opened it again. The sports stuff was never open long enough and the lines and waits were unbearable.

The Manhattan Room...Loud and not enjoyable. Food selection sparse, meals slow and when arrived not very tasty at all.

I went into this with an open mind-I am a gold latitudes member and an experienced cruiser.. but I am a bit soured after this vacation.

Bermuda was beautiful and we explored it on out own. We did the Bermuda triangle night cruise in a glass bottom boat on Wednesday night-it was the best night of the trip. Explored St George on Thursday and the dockyard on Friday. Even with the sporadic rain showers it cleared up quickly and the sun would come out fast.

Oh and my daughter did go to the kids club- she only enjoyed it on the rock of ages night because they opened early -the other time it was too crowded and she didn't get to participate in the activities.

Publication Date: 09/02/13