Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by elizabet

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Splendor Review for a trip taken a long time ago

This is a review of a trip I took last year.

Splendor was great. Very pink if memory serves.

Embarkation was good, we got on fairly quickly, managed to find a table on the lido deck and had lunch, while we waited for our rooms to be made ready.

The spa was amazing - everything was clean and brand new. This was right after the fire, so brand spanking new shineies is to be expected, but was still much appreciated considering just how many people go through the spa in a month. We purchased spa access on board for both my husband and I and this was well worth it. We spent a lot of time during the sea days in the spa, I really enjoyed the heated loungers and the Thalassotherapy (spelling?) pool. The spa staff were very accommodating.

All the cabin stewards were really friendly and helpful.

The room was comfortable enough for two people. Very clean and quiet.

We did the behind the fun tour on the last day. This was an eye opener and really neat. We got to see the kitchens (we did the chef's table which included a tour of this area, the cooks we ran into all remembered my Husband and I), the crew common areas, the electrical areas and propulsion stuff (room with lots of instruments and blinking lights), and go up to the bridge. I would recommend.

The MDR was touch and go for me. Dinner definitely better than lunches. I found the lido to be surprisingly decent and enjoyed the premium (extra $) restaurant. At the premium restaurant we ordered a cheese plate - it was huge, they brought a massive pile of various really nice cheeses and then carved giant chunks - insanity! I also remember the ceviche from that meal, which was really great, very refreshing. Also room service each morning as really nice - bagels with cream cheese, orange juice, and hot coffee. :)

Main theatre entertainment was entertaining, like blander versions of Vegas shows, but still enjoyable. We did have to walk out during one of the comedy shows (can't remember who it was, but he was being really rude about a transgendered passenger, I found this very inappropriate in a not very funny way and complained to service desk, who were polite and said they would forward my complaint to management - don't know if anything came of it though). The piano bar was okay, I liked it, however, my husband who normally loves piano bars did not.

Main pool area was very busy and crowded, I did not get a chance to use.

There were apparently a lot of children on board but I did not notice them. I did spend a lot of time in the adults only area, which was never crowded. Should note: I am not a fan of little kids, this was not an issue the entire cruise.

The only annoying passengers were a group of drunk frat boys who made a number of "cat calls" (Ooooh! Baby!, I have a package for you!) at me and the other female passengers and almost hit me in the head with a foot ball.

I played joiner one day, came in third place for trivia, hubby came in fourth for the manliness contest. Was fun. :)

I marked public rooms as a 4 as smoking was allowed in the casino area. Cigarette smoke stings my eyes (I'm hypersensitive to it). Most of the areas surrounding the casino smelt of smoke.

We arranged our own shore days - diving in Cabo and wandering in Puerto Vallarta.

Publication Date: 09/03/13