Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by BevvieB: A Grand Time on the Grandeur!

BevvieB

Public Rooms Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

A Grand Time on the Grandeur!

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

Embarkation: Arrived at Baltimore Pier around 10:00. Lines were long-ish but moved quickly. Processed quickly and efficiently. Greeted by photographer and maitre'd, which was convenient for making dinner reservations.

Boarding: Plenty of seating while we waited. Nice selection of food in the Windjammer, although it was crowded and we had trouble finding seating. Took a while for some of our party's bags to be delivered, but my roomie and I found ours in the pile and took them ourselves.

Setting sail: Nice party atmosphere on the upper decks-music, drinks, dancing. Fun arrival of the local news helicopter.

Stateroom: Clean and well-stocked with towels, etc. Frederick, our steward, introduced himself right away and gave us a card to contact him when needed. He took away the mini-bar at our request (actually he hid it under the bed, but at least it was out of the way). Cruise Compasses and towel animals arrived as expected and on time.

Main dining More room: Our waiter, Dattaram, was polite, efficient and thorough. Food was delicious and plentiful. Always had a table available with the My Time dining.

Specialty restaurants: My friend and I purchased the dining package which included three specialty restaurants and the Chef's Table (more on that later). Chops was tasty, nothing outstanding. Giovanni's Table was delicious, and the service was excellent. Izumi's sushi was very good and again we had outstanding service.

Chef's Table: This specialty offer for 12 people was a highlight of the trip. We had a chef, sommalier, and maitre d'. We spent close to three hours at dinner. Five delicious courses with a wine pairing for each. Wonderful company and amazing service.

Excursions: Lots of good options. I did Kennedy Space Center, visited Cocoa Cay, and toured Nassau with a driver.

Activities: Lots of fun things! Our group loved trivia which was offered daily. I am not a Bingo person, but several in our group enjoyed it. Others did the Scavenger hunts, napkin folding, and talks. I did the scrapbooking (which had a good deal on page kits) and salsa dancing. The Quest was hysterical and while a bit naughty, not over the top rude. The Activities staff was excellent-LOVED Darryl, Julie, John, and my fav Desmond.

On-board entertainment: This is the one area that needs some work for me. The first night's comedian was pretty funny. The RC Singers and Dancers were ok, but their material is a little dated and needs to be better coordinated to their talents. Voices 3 was my favorite, their song selection and onstage rapport was very enjoyable. The impersonator was not the best. The final night's comedian again was just ok. We did love the "Love and Marriage" game show-a couple from our party was in it and that made it even more fun.

Gym: Plenty of machines in the A.M. Classes were ok, instructor wasn't a yoga expert but still got a good stretch.

Disembarkation: Fast and easy.

Other: I didn't use the spa services, but others from our party were pleased. Pools and hot tubs were ok, weren't always hot when they should have been. I discovered the Park Cafe back behind the Solarium Pool and that was my favorite spot for breakfast. I loved the interactive screens at the elevators, complete with menus. Weird smell on the last night. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>