Carnival Glory Cruise Review by lunacruise

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: lunacruise
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 1A
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
        10-12 1.0
        13-15 1.0
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Took us by surprise --- on the good side

This is actually a very positive review, read on.

We sailed with CC a few years ago and that left a very bad taste in our mouths, literally. Food was horrible, the staff was just average and we would have never travel with CC ever again. The recent incidents of the cruise being stranded added to the horror show.

We booked the trip with Carnival Glory since the price is right for a family of 4. It was cheap, we got a really good deal, probably the cheapest of the whole cruise ship (under $1600 for family of 4 INCLUDING port charge and tax for 6 day 5 nights aka 5 days cruise).

Once we were on board, we could tell the difference already, the lido deck buffet was much better than a few years ago... ok lets see...

The dining room food was also pretty good. We usually are loyal customers with RCCL, but some of the food on CC was actually BETTER than RCCL to our surprise! Every night there is an item call "Didya" it really means did you ever want to try it but never dare to... and we had the didya every day for the fun.

The entertainment was short and sweet. I would say if I have to purposely pick a weaker area of this trip, it would have to be the shows. they are short (30-45 min max). There are mainly singing and dancing; and a game show. there were no magician or any special acts like RCCL.

The Guy's burger joint --- and I hate burgers --- was a bomb! Amazingly, that burger joint (included in your cruise at no extra charge), was amazingly good. The cheese burger and the Guy's fries to Guy's recipe.

Like most cruise, there are Adult only areas, such as the swimming pool, Hot tub. The only complain I have with the hot tub is that it is not hot enough --- but that is a personal preference.

I read about the other reviewer on the salt water pool ---- most cruise line use fresh salt water for the pool for sanitary reasons. why critic on this, really (must be new cruiser). The water was well heated so the older guests, can also enjoy the pool (I swam in icy cold atlantic ocean water in the morning and warm afternoon heated water with no issues).

The kids program is ok. Not too much to brag about... it was ok. I would say RCCL may do more things with the younger group than CC.

The cocktails were good. The casino has a lot of Hold Them tables, so if you enjoy donating to the cruise line, you will enjoy that.

I think CC is trying to attract new and return customer by running super sales --- they do try to make back their money by offering VERY EXPENSIVE spa service, excursions that is way over priced, and other means to make extra cash.

One funny thing that happen that is related to the cruise I was in --- for a good laugh I share with you:

In the back of the Lido deck, there is this swimming pool that is designated for adult use. The staff did a good job at asking guests politely and send the kids to the general pool. 99.9% of the people follow the rules accordingly --- which make sense, who wants kids there to splash water and run round the pool like crazy while you are reading on your ipad.

Anyway, there was this woman with 2-3 kids, she sent the kids into the pool. People pointed out that it is an adult area and she would not. Then the staff came to ask them to go to the general area and she would not. She end up making a huge scene and called guest service to complain (about what, really). Guest service confirmed that she cannot have kids in the pool or the hot tub. she actually dare to tell her kids to grab an ice cream and scream at the top of their lungs so they would be able to disturb EVERYONE in the area. Can you believe it?! wow seriously? what a rude New Yorker (to be fair I do not want to list out her ethnicity but its the type that she thinks that her ethnic group is rich and powerful in the city and that is why she thinks she could do whatever she wants on the ship as well)... 2 days later, she tried to pull the same trick and this super friendly BIG African American guy like 6 feet 10 went to her with a "hood" voice, "NO KIDS HERE!"... that scared her off while everyone was clapping hands... we all knew he was acting tough... haha... he then said, "see, she left because I am black and she thinks I am up to no good".

We all laughed and cracked some jokes and enjoy our time at the adult only pool.

That was funny really.

I highly recommend this cruise to all.

Publication Date: 09/02/13