Island Escape Cruise Review by spottydog: 1st Cruise. Average Experience

1st Cruise. Average Experience

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Las Palmas

Read loads of reports on forums and agree with most of the 3 star ratings. We also have some friends who have been on this ship before.

Some things people find fault with are ridiculous. Plastic plates drop the ratings. Who's bothered if the plates are plastic???

Overall enjoyed the cruise but there are some issues mainly due to the fact this ship is a converted ferry. If we go on another cruise it will be a "proper" cruise ship.

We were on deck 9 at the rear (aft)of the ship in an inside cabin.

Dated decor. Like the lounge in a 70's working men's club but not a problem.

Good Points

Most staff were great, friendly and helpful.

Cleanliness is very good.

Food is good. Plenty of choice and good quality.

Beds are basic, but for me at least, very comfortable.

Cabin size is adequate for 2 people, just!

Drinks are fine. I mostly drink larger and the San Miguel was nice.

Not so good More points

Air conditioning system is very noisy and you can't turn it off. I'm a good sleeper but still had to put ear plugs in.

The vibration from the engines is horrendous. Even on deck 9. You constantly feel it in bed and when the ship docks it nearly shakes you out of bed.

Very noisy with bars above and below the rooms. Not such a problem for us as it stops at midnight but could be for some people.

Waiter service is intermittent. Good in some bars, none existent in others.

We were part of a company of 3 couples and as I said overall it was an OK introduction to cruising. We enjoyed the holiday mainly because of our friends, not so much the ship. Value for money?? not sure, I don't think so. We have been booked for well over a year due to planning 6 peoples work commitments so we paid top dollar and I don't think it was worth what we paid. Book any Thompson cruise early enough and you can get all inclusive. Less

Read more Island Escape cruise reviews >>