Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by NJBeast: 2 Day Alaska Cruise

2 Day Alaska Cruise

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

This little Celebrity ship(91K tons) tried and tried but just could not make it to Seward. She pulled a hammy on her way out of Ketchikan and had to limp back to port. She is now on the the 28 day DL awaiting reconstructive surgery in he Bahamas. It was a great disappointment to not be able to finish our cruise.

The repeating of the same "We are evaluation the root cause" announcement to the constantly changing information regarding charter flights out of Ketchikan for 2000 passengers only added to everyone's frustration. The compensation is fair but could have been better for valid airfare considerations were lacking. The worst has to be the constant changing of charter info from choices of Anchorage, Vancouver or Seattle to just Seattle and Vancouver caused quite an uproar. The notification of which charter group you were in was horrible. They just put a letter and luggage tags on your door. If you were already asleep and had group 1 or 2, you missed the flight. I had group More 6 and did not find the info until 9AM Wed. morning. It told us to have our luggage out by 10AM. Oh the fun of it all. It took 6 hours to get the first 3 of ~20 groups off the ship.

Otherwise, I found the food in the main dining room and fancy restaurant excellent. They dining staff did an excellent job of accomodating my DW's special requests each night. Our Butler, Ramir, took very good care of us and even assisted when I had a room key issue. Our breakfast each morning in suite was superb. The buffet, as always, is the weak spot in the dining group. The limited selection and constantly closed stations always kept my expectations low. I usually only had salads and pasta. Even they were below par in service, quality and taste. The on board guitar player, Justin Wade, and guest performer Christina Bianco were excellent and I looked forward to their next performances.

Passengers for the most part kept a positive attitude until the breakdown in Charter flights. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium Sky Suite Penthouse Deck (6) 6131

Balcony was good size with 90+ degree views but visible from other cabins and from buffet area above. Floor in cabin is very uneven with many undulations. Always found myself almost falling into wall mirrors when getting out of bed due to the floor contours. Air conditioning was always cutting out and had to be serviced when we first arrived. The cabin became warmer and warmer as the nights passed.

With 4 days in port there was not much to do. Walked around town. sidewalks near dock are rolled up at about 4PM after the daily ships leave. Found only 3 stores open in a 4 by 2 block area after 3:30P on day.

Rainforest Hike

(3)

Nice little hike through Tongass Nat. Forest near Ward Lake but way overpriced. Found out you could have taken local bus to our starting/end point for a couple of dollars. Guide was very knowledgeable of local vegetation and wildlife.