Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by jaycruze

Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: VA
See More About: Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Nieuw Amsterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Nieuw Amsterdam Deck Plans
A fantastic (and scorching hot) honeymoon thru the Mediterranean!

What a fantastic 12 nights my bride and I had aboard this wonderful ship! I will write this review categorically beginning with

Service: The best part of the cruise!!!! With the exception of one surly fellow working the waffle station and one incident in the gift shop, the staff on board made the vacation an amazing one!

Ship Layout, Design, Decor, and Cleanliness: A very well laid out ship, easy to get around, rarely had to wait for elevators. The only place I ever felt I was on a large ship was at the Lido Buffet, which was always busy. Otherwise, you feel like you are on a smaller ship. The ship is very nicely decorated, and was always kept very clean

Our Cabin: We had a balcony cabin on Rotterdam Deck near the aft. The location was great as it was just two flights of stairs down from the adults-only Aft Pool, and the Lido Buffet. Cabin was a great use of space, we never felt cramped. I would improve the balcony slightly, by changing the small coffee table to one that is high enough to dine from (I noted that Princess and Celebrity ships docked next to us had these). I would also have liked a small rug/mat for the balcony as the deck surface was very hot when exposed to the sun.

Dining: Just amazing, I will break this one down further

--Lido Buffet: Terrific and comprehensive breakfast buffet. Omelette station. Waffle and Crepe station. Eggs Benny Station (with 8-10 different bennies). Stations for traditional Asian, German, Dutch, Spanish, English and North American items. Continental breakfast bar. Fresh Fruit. Juice Bar.

I only ate lunch there once or twice, but again the selection was comprehensive with a panini station, pasta station and plenty of salads, hot and cold entrees, sweets. Dinner was great as it offered most if not all of the entrees featured that night in the dining room.

--Terrace BBQ: I had a few great burgers and dogs here. Always fresh, and tasty fries (regular or sweet potato) served alongside.

--Theme nights: They offered some great theme night casual dinners on the aft deck. Italian grill night, Greek night, middle eastern night. I swung by these and just took tiny sample portions as sort my antipasti before dinner.

--Main Dining room: Just great. Main menu changed nightly and the only item I saw more than once was Prime Rib. There were also 4-5 other dishes that were always on the menu (NY Steak, Grilled Salmon, Roast Chicken). Service was attentive and very friendly, a couple nights a little slow for my liking.

--Pinnacle Grill: Well worth the $25 charge. We had the mixed salad and lobster bisque for appies, a filet and a bone-in ribeye for mains, ganache cake and creme brulee trio for dessert. All were just fantastic. One the the very best steaks I've ever had!

--Tamarind: We had lunch here once, which is free. Great set menu featuring hot and sour soup, salad, dumplings, fried rice and dessert (Green Tea Tiramisu) We will gladly pay the $10 charge for dinner on our next cruise!

Entertainment: The evening shows were hit and miss. The New York City show, the comedian, the pianist, and Dancing with the Stars were all very good. The Magician was dull. Cantare however, was stunning. I would pay money to see that show if it came to town!

We also enjoyed the various games, such as Name that Tune, Bingo and Trivia. Casino and nightclub were never crowded.

Publication Date: 08/31/13
Read the Western Mediterranean ports review by jaycruze
More Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Nieuw Amsterdam review Read the next Nieuw Amsterdam review

More Western Mediterranean Reviews
So So Epic
Signature Suite - Amazing
Good - but exhausting!

More Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews