Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by jaycruze: A fantastic (and scorching hot) honeymoon thru the Mediterranean!

jaycruze
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Nieuw Amsterdam Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

A fantastic (and scorching hot) honeymoon thru the Mediterranean!

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

What a fantastic 12 nights my bride and I had aboard this wonderful ship! I will write this review categorically beginning with

Service: The best part of the cruise!!!! With the exception of one surly fellow working the waffle station and one incident in the gift shop, the staff on board made the vacation an amazing one!

Ship Layout, Design, Decor, and Cleanliness: A very well laid out ship, easy to get around, rarely had to wait for elevators. The only place I ever felt I was on a large ship was at the Lido Buffet, which was always busy. Otherwise, you feel like you are on a smaller ship. The ship is very nicely decorated, and was always kept very clean

Our Cabin: We had a balcony cabin on Rotterdam Deck near the aft. The location was great as it was just two flights of stairs down from the adults-only Aft Pool, and the Lido Buffet. Cabin was a great use of space, we never felt cramped. I would improve the balcony slightly, by changing the small coffee More table to one that is high enough to dine from (I noted that Princess and Celebrity ships docked next to us had these). I would also have liked a small rug/mat for the balcony as the deck surface was very hot when exposed to the sun.

Dining: Just amazing, I will break this one down further

--Lido Buffet: Terrific and comprehensive breakfast buffet. Omelette station. Waffle and Crepe station. Eggs Benny Station (with 8-10 different bennies). Stations for traditional Asian, German, Dutch, Spanish, English and North American items. Continental breakfast bar. Fresh Fruit. Juice Bar.

I only ate lunch there once or twice, but again the selection was comprehensive with a panini station, pasta station and plenty of salads, hot and cold entrees, sweets. Dinner was great as it offered most if not all of the entrees featured that night in the dining room.

--Terrace BBQ: I had a few great burgers and dogs here. Always fresh, and tasty fries (regular or sweet potato) served alongside.

--Theme nights: They offered some great theme night casual dinners on the aft deck. Italian grill night, Greek night, middle eastern night. I swung by these and just took tiny sample portions as sort my antipasti before dinner.

--Main Dining room: Just great. Main menu changed nightly and the only item I saw more than once was Prime Rib. There were also 4-5 other dishes that were always on the menu (NY Steak, Grilled Salmon, Roast Chicken). Service was attentive and very friendly, a couple nights a little slow for my liking.

--Pinnacle Grill: Well worth the $25 charge. We had the mixed salad and lobster bisque for appies, a filet and a bone-in ribeye for mains, ganache cake and creme brulee trio for dessert. All were just fantastic. One the the very best steaks I've ever had!

--Tamarind: We had lunch here once, which is free. Great set menu featuring hot and sour soup, salad, dumplings, fried rice and dessert (Green Tea Tiramisu) We will gladly pay the $10 charge for dinner on our next cruise!

Entertainment: The evening shows were hit and miss. The New York City show, the comedian, the pianist, and Dancing with the Stars were all very good. The Magician was dull. Cantare however, was stunning. I would pay money to see that show if it came to town!

We also enjoyed the various games, such as Name that Tune, Bingo and Trivia. Casino and nightclub were never crowded. Less

Read more Nieuw Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Nieuw Amsterdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 7131

Good cabin and balcony. Great Views!. Easy access to Lido Buffet. Easy access to aft pool. Mild rumble from the engine. Long walk to showroom and casino area.

Cable Car

(4)

Stunning views from atop, and I really liked seeing the fort, complete with remnants of the shelling it took during the 91-92 war there. Also a bit of a breeze

Florence Walking Tour

(4)

A tad pricey, given that the train would have been a quarter of the price, but the guide gave us some great advice on a pasta restaurant, gelato stand, leather makers, and shopping

Aghios Andreas Beach

(5)

Took the mopeds here on the way back. A great beach, rocky though, but the water was clear and very warm. The food at the open air restaurant there is to die for! Also stopped at Mercouri winery which is nearby for a great wine and olive oil tasting!

Olympia Archeological Tour

(4)

We rented mopeds for 25 Euros each and took them to Olympia (6 Euros to see the ruins). I don't recommend this for the faint of heart. Road is narrow in places and busses are whizzing by. But we enjoyed it.

(5.5)

WOW!!!! Get up early and get a good viewing spot on a high deck. The sail-in offers 90 minutes of very scenic cruising. I was simply blown away! The town is beautiful as well with the old walled city, and the 1300 stairs up to the fortress (next time maybe!)

Read 126 Kotor Reviews

Marseille itself, in my opinion, is very dirty and unfriendly. We rented a car and drove 30 minutes to Cassis, which is very nice, right on the water with a public sandy beach and turquoise water. We took a tour of Les Calanques which were just amazing, and drove to the top of Cap Canaille to get some amazing views.

Naples is pretty dirty, not as bad as Marseille. We were too tired from Rome a day before, so we just took a short walk from the pier to get some delicious pizza and some light shopping.

I would return here only to see Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast

Read 643 Naples Reviews

Historic Tour

(5.5)

A great guide and a great price, for 90 euros, we received train transportation to and from Rome, local transit passes, Express Passes to both Colosseum and the Vatican Museums, guided walking tours of Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and St Peter's. Highly Recommended

(5.5)

Phenomenal! Buy a vaporetto pass, put on some comfy walking shoes and just explore

Read 504 Venice Reviews