Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by LGCRUISING

Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: 1C
See More About: Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Wonderful Cruise

This is a review of our 14 day cruise to the Baltic on Celebrity Eclipse. This was our second cruise with Celebrity. We have cruised 8 times.

On this cruise we visited the following cities - Brugge Berlin Stockholm Helsinki Moscow St Petersburg Tallinn Copenhagen.

Many other reviewers have commented on the ship, cabin, food and crew. We thought they were great. However, if we were to compare across cruise lines, our last 2 Holland America cruises were a 'wee' bit better. In the rest of the review I'll try to touch on a few topics not in the other recent reviews.

Pre cruise

Unfortunately we made the mistake of booking a pre cruise hotel with Celebrity. We stayed at the Hilton Metropole. It was a terrible hotel. The carpets had huge stains, there was black mold in the bathroom and the air conditioner did not work (28+ degrees Celsius while we were there). Celebrity charged us $435 per night. What a huge disappointment. Does Celebrity check the hotels out prior to using them? We approached Celebrity Cruises customer relations and have spoken with them several times while at the hotel and after the cruise. All I can say is what terrible customer service Celebrity provided. I have dealt with Holland America's customer service in the past and they were outstanding. Given so many cruising choices one would think that Celebrity would try harder to keep your business. Anyway we made a good effort to not let this awful start with Celebrity sour the rest of our vacation.

Celebrity Excursions

I was a bit dismayed that before I left on vacation Celebrity Excursions cancelled 4 of my tours. In some cases a similar tour was offered but in other cases we just gave up and toured on our own.

Perhaps the Celebrity excursions are a bit pricey but they do provide us with the peace of mind that it is Celebrity's responsibility to get us back to the ship. Almost all of their excursions were excellent. The only one I would have dropped was the Stockholm Archipelago. It was really boring and we only spent 5 minutes on a ferry between 2 islands. We thought this was a boat tour of the archipelago.

The best excursion was our tour from St Petersburg to Moscow. It was a really long day but well worth it. We flew on Aeroflot (1 hour flight). In Moscow we rode their Metro system, we then went to the Kremlin Museum, Cathedral Square where we visited a church, then Red Square. The tour stopped twice for food and the restaurants were outstanding and the food great. The tour guides were also outstanding. We had been to St Petersburg previously. If I were to choose between Moscow and St Petersburg I would go with St Petersburg. Peterhof, The Hermitage, Catherin's Palace, the Cathedrals are outstanding in St Petersburg.

As a final comment I found that as a repeat customer with Celebrity it would have been nice if they provided some extras. Other cruise lines where we were repeat customers had many perks.

Publication Date: 08/31/13
Read the Baltic & Northern Europe ports review by LGCRUISING
More Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews

More Baltic & Northern Europe Reviews
The Baltics
Terrific Cruise
Excellent itinerary but Celebrity...

More Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews