Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by CarolinaCruiser85: Awesome Eastern Med Cruise

CarolinaCruiser85
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Navigator of the Seas Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Awesome Eastern Med Cruise

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

My wife and I cruised with our two 20 year old daughters. We arrived two days early in Rome to enjoy the food and visited the Forum, Coliseum, and many other historic sights. This was our first time in Europe and Rome and it was amazing. We also spent two days after the cruise in Rome again. Our first hotel was near Termini station (fun but grittier neighborhood) our second stay was near the Vatican. We used Civitavecchia Cab service for pick ups and transfers and they were consistently on time with no hassles. They picked us up at our hotel, Augusta Lucilla at 10:00 am and we were at the port at about 11:20. He dropped us right in front of the embarkation tent and luggage check area and we were probably on board 20 minutes later.

I was expecting the little wear and tear on the ship because of its age and I can be very critical at time. I thought the ship looked great. Most areas were spotless and looked fine. Most noticeable age was seen a little in hallway carpeting and More some of the chrome and metal around the pools. Overall great ship. Rooms were available at 1:00 and we booked two promenade rooms for great prices and they were perfect. We wanted to spend more money on tours and these cabins were clean with plenty of room. The windows allowed you to watch the parades right from your room. They can be loud and we were worried but the music was not noticeable after 11:30.

The Windjammer had a lot of variety and good food. Service was a little sketchy and sometime hard to get drinks at your table. We ate at night in the Nutcracker dining room. This was my 3rd Royal Caribbean cruise and probably the best food. There was a lot of variety on the menu but at time the service was spotty. The waiters were very friendly but it just seemed like there was not enough of them. Food service was slow and cocktail and beverage service at time was not existent. When the food came out it was tasty but on a few occasions we had to send it back because it was cold. The new themed menus seemed to bog things down as well.

I though Simona was one of the best cruise directory I have ever had but the overall entertainment was weak. On board planned parties were great. The ice show was great. The production shows were a little boring. No comedians and the juggler was kind of lame. Let's face it, this cruise is all about the port of calls and they are amazing and will wear you out. The shows, better to rest up.

Simona's Adult Quest, disco night, and dance parties were a blast.

Beautiful views while sailing through the Greek Islands and past Mt. Stromboli, the volcano.

All of the sports decks were top notch. Very little wear and tear on the miniature golf. This ship was my first cruise that seemed crowded at times. Pool seats were gobbled up early. Lines at miniature golf and health club. However, you can always find quiet space if necessary.

Disembarkation was a breeze. In fact we were off the ship with our luggage 1 hour prior to our drivers arrival time.

I have enjoyed 10 cruises and I would book this one again without a second thought. A few quirky things but nothing to prevent you from having a great time. I do wish Royal Caribbean would put water and drinks out at a few locations instead of just the Cafe Promenade at night, but that is a discussion for another time. Book the cruise and enjoy. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas Promenade Stateroom Deck 6 7591

Inside promenade cabins are great if you want and inside cabin rate with a window with a view. AC worked great, plenty of storage. Nice beds and typical bathroom. You can see the parades from your room but the parades aren't that good. Expect to hear music until 11-11:30. If you are early to bed and you want quiet, this is the wrong room. I would book them again.

We decided to walk to the metro station and head to Athens on our own. Unfortunately the ship berth was one of the farthest and the port bus was not running yet. We turned down a couple of taxis which was dumb. Make sure you know where the ship is going to be at the port if you decide to do the Athens trip on your own. After the poor start, we made it to the metro and simply bought all day metro passes and went 6 stops to Thessio and made the beautiful walk to the Acropolis. It is a hike so you should be in decent shape. We were easily able to see the Acropolis, the changing of the Greek guards, Olympic Zeus, Agora, and Platka on our own. We had a great lunch at a location recommend in our Frommers book. Athens exceeded all expectations. Metro and city bus (included on the transport pass) and we were back to the ship with plenty of time to spare.

Took city bus into the port city of Chania. Beautiful Venice like city with nice shops and good restaurants. I would have liked more time to spend in the city. Our ship arrived early but many of the shops and restaurant don't open until mid day. Our restaurant food was great but because it took a while to cook we almost missed the last bus to the cruise port.

Basilica of St. John

(4)

Awesome

Carpet Weaving

(2)

I enjoyed learning about silk weaving and carpet weaving. I am in sales but I still thought the owner was too pushy with the carpets. They are beautiful but I would have like more time at the ruins.

Celsus Library

Amazing historical site.

Ephesus

(5)

Ephesus is an amazing city. Not to be missed if you like ancient history or Christian history.

Read 83 Ephesus Reviews

House of the Virgin Mary

(5)

Awesome site especially if you are a Christian.

Temple of Artemis

(5)

Pre booked this excursion on line through Viator and it worked out great. Covered all the major sites in Turkey.

City Tour

(4)

Port stop was actually at Messina. Upon arrival, I booked this tour 10 minutes prior to its departure. We were put in large, air conditioned busses. After a half hour ride through some windy roads we arrived at Taormina. This city is amazing and beautiful. It is one of the nicest cities that I have visited on a cruise. The city is easily toured and could be done without the excursion if you knew you would be back on time. Messina and mountain traffic can be congested. Great food and snack. The city is basically a walled old city with one or two main cobble stone streets. Try the Brioche ice cream sandwiches and the arancini. Our guide was knowledgeable but the city is very straight forward.

Teatro Greco

(5)

Royal Caribbean bus took us to Taormina. After a short walk, we paid for admission to the theatre. Great views from the theatre.