Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Shazza51Plus

Member Name: Shazza51Plus
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
See More About: Thomson Dream Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Thomson Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Dream Deck Plans
DREAM OF A CRUISE

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful week on the Thomson Dream. This was my second time on the Dream and my husband's first for his 50th birthday. I have been an avid reader of past reviews since I booked at Christmas, and have decided post this review of the "wonderful lady of the seas".

Embarkation- swift and well organised. We were shown to our Cabin 6116 and met our wonderful cabin steward Sri.

Cabin - Ideally situated on deck 6. I booked an outside plus which was very spacious, spotlessly clean. Plenty of hanging space and drawer space. Yes the drawers do stick but this is part of the charm of the Dream! Sri and her team worked incredibly hard all day, changing towels, making the bed, turning them down at night and adding a chocolate on our pillow. Loved the elephant towel animal that was left on Thursday night. Cannot praise Sri and her team enough.

Food - We ate in the Orion for Breakfast and Dinner and used the Lido for lunch. Plenty of choice everyday. Food was excellent and well presented. We did not encounter any luke warm food at all. Our morning waiter was Vincente for breakfast. In the evening we had Aaron and Siegfried our wine waiter. After only two nights, Siegfried knew what we liked to drink and topped our wine up everynight without us asking!!! Aaron was charming and very polite and attentive. An amazing dancer in the Crew Cuts show too.

Entertainment - A good and varied choice of entertainment all around the ship. The Thomson Dream show team were excellent - brilliant singers and dancers, working very hard to put on a different show every night. The Broadway Show (Cabaret, Chicago and Les Mis) was a particular favourite. I have read other reviews where people have complained about the shows - well all I can say is that they did not see the same show team as we did, or unable to appreciate a splendid bunch of young people working their socks off to keep a middle aged audience happy!!!

The quizzes at night were varied but did, I feel, go on for too long. Entertainment hosts work very hard to keep us all happy. Bar staff in all bars were outstanding, working long hours, for little pay, and keeping a smile on their faces for everyone. Evengelina and Tin Tin in the Medusa kept my husband in his favourite cocktails in the afternoon whilst I sunbathed. Strum Jam were very talented, as were Heart and Soul, the duo in the Ocean Bar and the classical duo as well. Lovely to have such a variety.

The situation with the sun beds is laughable. there are plenty of beds, hogged all day by selfish people who put their towels out at dawn and then do not use the beds at day!!!! one lady we saw, sat on the same bed daily, all day, every day! Towels are not removed although an announcement was made on the first day. one of my husband's pasttimes was to watch people moving beds from deck to deck in the vain hope of finding a space to sit. (No thought given to the crew who have to move them all back at the end of the day - a problem in the Medusa Lounge too).

Ports of call were lovely. We only did two organised trips. One from Sorrento to Pompeii and Rome on your own (my husband is Italian so language no problem!).

All in all, we had a fantastic trip and cannot praise the crew highly enough. This is not a new ship but she is utterly charming. I overheard two ladies saying how they had already complained to Bram Lorenz (the excellent cruise director) about the state of the ship and it not being Platinum. Remember, Thomson Dream is an older ship, we all pay about 2,300 for two for our holiday. If you want a 10,000, 5 star cruise holiday then this is not the ship for you. If you want a good value holiday, see lovely places every day, be entertained by a talented show team and treated like royalty by the exceptional crew members, then give the Dream a go. You will love it!!!

Ps. All inclusive for 69 each was definitely worth it!!!!

Publication Date: 08/27/13