Grand Princess Cruise Review by John C of SC: Alaska Inside Passage Cruise

Alaska Inside Passage Cruise

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: San Francisco

My wife and I joined another couple and his mother and niece for this cruise. All together theew were 6 of us were in 3 cabins. Since we live in the Bay Area, our daughter gave us ride to Pier 35 to board the ship.

It was a treat to travel from San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Our stateroom was an ocean view of pretty compact size - it had only one double-wide night stand turned sideways (making access to the drawers impossible) instead of two half sized night stands that we have experienced with other cruise lines. Our room stewart gave us exceptional service.

The layout of the ship was fairly easy learn, and the ship appears to be modern and very well maintained.

We had chosen anytime dining, so we had two dining rooms available to us each evening. We used both dining rooms, and were delighted with the selections and the service provided by the staff.

The entertainment provided was equal to or better than what we have More experienced on our other cruises.

We did excursions in 3 of the 4 ports - we just visited the shore shop in Victoria because we had been to Butchart Gardens on a previous cruise.

The worst experience we had on this cruise began on Thursday,8/15/2013. I asked Princess Admin Officer if it would be possible for my wife and I to stay on the Grand Princess for the next Alaska cruise leaving San Francisco 8/18/2013. The afternoon of 8/16/2013 called to advise that Princess did have a cancellation and could give us an ocean-view cabin for the cruise at $999 per person. My wife and I had a brief conversation, and within about 5 minutes I went to customer service agent who put me on the phone I told him we accepted the offer of an ocean-view stateroom at $999 plus taxes, and he advised that he would get us a confirmation. We canceled our arrangements for our ride home on 8/18/13, and changed other arrangements so that we could stay on the ship. He told me that he immediately forwarded our acceptance to the Princess office, but on 8/17/2013 he called to advise that the ocean-view cabin turned out to not be available for us due to overbooking. Later on 8/17 Princess had him call us to advise that a balcony cabin was available, but at double the $999 rate; we couldn't afford the double rate, and we feel this situation is like a bait and switch by the Princess Cruise Company. We feel that he did his best to do right by us, but Princess did not support his efforts like we expected. It sure seems inappropriate that on 8/16 Princess made an offer that we accepted and then Princess withdraws the offer  something is wrong with a system that treats customers in such a fashion. On 8/21/13 my wife & I received a call from Princess customer service in response to my 8/17/13 email to Princess Customer Service asking that Princess find a way to honor the original offer Princess made to us that we had accepted. Even on this date, Princess only offered explanations and apologies and said that they could not offer anything to compensate us for the inconvenience and disappointment their failure to deliver on their original offer that we had accepted.

Our cabin category was OF and is not in the Cruise Critic list. Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Grand Princess P233

Wildlife Tour

(5.5)

We had a wonderful gentleman tour guide on the bus, and the young lady who drove the bus took us into the rainforest on the Chilkoot River - both individuals were extremely knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

Mendenhall Glacier

(4)

Interesting tour that included the Mendenhall Glacer and the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery - great samples of salmon were available at the hatchery - really enjoyed our time there. The tour ended with a salmon bake, which was nice, but I would have rather had some time to look around Juneau, the State Capital.

Totem Bight State Park

(4)

We had a very knowledgeable and friendly tour guide. The excursion ened with a lumberjack show, which was sort of corney, but still very enjoyable.

There was only one shop close the where the ship was docked - anything else required spending $10 ($5 for seniors) for a shuttle to town. We had been to Butchart Gardens on a previous cruise, so we really weren't interested in going there again.

Read 554 Victoria Reviews