Grand Princess Cruise Review by John C of SC

Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: San Francisco
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Number: P233
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
Alaska Inside Passage Cruise

My wife and I joined another couple and his mother and niece for this cruise. All together theew were 6 of us were in 3 cabins. Since we live in the Bay Area, our daughter gave us ride to Pier 35 to board the ship.

It was a treat to travel from San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Our stateroom was an ocean view of pretty compact size - it had only one double-wide night stand turned sideways (making access to the drawers impossible) instead of two half sized night stands that we have experienced with other cruise lines. Our room stewart gave us exceptional service.

The layout of the ship was fairly easy learn, and the ship appears to be modern and very well maintained.

We had chosen anytime dining, so we had two dining rooms available to us each evening. We used both dining rooms, and were delighted with the selections and the service provided by the staff.

The entertainment provided was equal to or better than what we have experienced on our other cruises.

We did excursions in 3 of the 4 ports - we just visited the shore shop in Victoria because we had been to Butchart Gardens on a previous cruise.

The worst experience we had on this cruise began on Thursday,8/15/2013. I asked Princess Admin Officer if it would be possible for my wife and I to stay on the Grand Princess for the next Alaska cruise leaving San Francisco 8/18/2013. The afternoon of 8/16/2013 called to advise that Princess did have a cancellation and could give us an ocean-view cabin for the cruise at $999 per person. My wife and I had a brief conversation, and within about 5 minutes I went to customer service agent who put me on the phone I told him we accepted the offer of an ocean-view stateroom at $999 plus taxes, and he advised that he would get us a confirmation. We canceled our arrangements for our ride home on 8/18/13, and changed other arrangements so that we could stay on the ship. He told me that he immediately forwarded our acceptance to the Princess office, but on 8/17/2013 he called to advise that the ocean-view cabin turned out to not be available for us due to overbooking. Later on 8/17 Princess had him call us to advise that a balcony cabin was available, but at double the $999 rate; we couldn't afford the double rate, and we feel this situation is like a bait and switch by the Princess Cruise Company. We feel that he did his best to do right by us, but Princess did not support his efforts like we expected. It sure seems inappropriate that on 8/16 Princess made an offer that we accepted and then Princess withdraws the offer  something is wrong with a system that treats customers in such a fashion. On 8/21/13 my wife & I received a call from Princess customer service in response to my 8/17/13 email to Princess Customer Service asking that Princess find a way to honor the original offer Princess made to us that we had accepted. Even on this date, Princess only offered explanations and apologies and said that they could not offer anything to compensate us for the inconvenience and disappointment their failure to deliver on their original offer that we had accepted.

Our cabin category was OF and is not in the Cruise Critic list.

Publication Date: 08/25/13