Island Escape Cruise Review by Waynemad: BEST OF THE MED AUGUST 13th-20th

BEST OF THE MED AUGUST 13th-20th

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

We have just got back from a FANTASTIC week on the Island escape, having sailed on this ship before it didn't take me long to get my bearings.

I have read a few reviews slating the ship, food etc remember this isn't a posh cruise if you want posh book with another cruise line, we couldn't fault anything the cabin was ok for 2 adults and 2 children, we travelled with my sister in law and her daughter they were on the deck below us their cabin was ok as well.

The food in all the restaurants were to an high standard being an head chef myself i was amazed in what they produce, there is plenty of choice for everyone, if other reviews say there wasn't they are just being fussy.

Last time I was on board the lager was Stella which I personally don't enjoy, this time it was San Miguel which was very nice, plenty of choice on the all inclusive drinks also you can buy as well.

They do sell cigarettes on board now the trick on this that the bar staff will try More only when the boat is at sea to sell to you, now when you buy, buy off your friendly bar/ server as they get a bonus of 10%.

There are plenty of bars on board the outside ones give you plastic glasses whilst inside you get glass, the pub is worth a visit.

Entertainment on board was pretty good the entertainment staff work very hard, personally the panto wasn't to my taste. They even had a couple of guest act comedian maybe a little offensive, he does 2 shows in one night, which they need down to the number of guest aboard and the size of the bounty lounge, the other act was an Elvis Presley tribute and he was excellent, even I managed to get on the stage also with 2 shows in a night...please be aware that these nights are jam packed so get there early or risk standing like we did.

We normally like to go to the casino for a little flutter but went a couple times and the tables were busy.

This is the 1st time that we have taken our children obviously we had little concerns before we travelled but we needn't have they absolute loved it, can't wait for us to book again.

The ports we visited were all good we met the ship at Palma followed by a day at sea, then we went to a place called Propriano in Corsica beach was excellent, shops are quaint.

Next day was Civitecchia this is for Rome we paid for an excursion this day called Rome on your own £40 per adult £21 per child it is approx 1 1/2 hours away, lovely place plenty to see just beware of pickpockets especially on the metro, we had an incident but I managed to grab hold the little rascal, luckily I didn't have anything of value on me, secret is ladies put your hard earned money down your bra, it did shake my 11 year old daughter though...everything else was very good just make sure you are aware.

Next day we were at Livorno this is for the leaning tower of Pisa from the port you walk into town 15-20 min walk then catch the bus to the train station you need to validate on bus and train station, you buy your tickets from the tobacconist cost 5 pp, check the platform number once in Pisa you need to get another bus so once again buy your tickets at the station, all very straight forward really plus going and seeing the leaning tower was fantastic.

The next day we went onto St Raphael we booked the excursion to Monaco & Monte Carlo same price at £40 per adult but the kids price was £28 this is also 1 1/2 hour trip this was also an excellent day, there was a tender to shore which was an experience.

Next day we were in Barcelona I didn't go ashore as we were there last year, the wife and her sister did and thoroughly enjoyed.

Next day back in Palma to come home suitcases need to be outside your cabin by 3 am.

Overall we had a FANTASTIC holiday and we all loved it, hope this helps you to enjoy your cruise. Less

Read more Island Escape cruise reviews >>