Golden Princess Cruise Review by BlueEyesMI: WOW! First-timer blown away by Golden Princess!

BlueEyesMI
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Golden Princess Alaska Cruises

WOW! First-timer blown away by Golden Princess!

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

My parents have cruised a lot before, so we were thrilled when they suggested a family Princess cruise to Alaska!

We flew into Seattle the day before the cruise. It was a perfect day, and we enjoyed walking around town, the new large ferris wheel and Pike Place market. We stayed at the W, which we all loved. Super nice rooms, wonderful beds, great staff. I bought flowers (for $5!) at the market to take on the ship for our cabin.

Embarkation was a long line. My father is in a wheelchair, so he and my mother got to go right through and were in their room at least an hour before we got to ours. Our rooms, A701 and A703, were lovely. We were under the covered pool/buffet entrance and in the morning I could hear chairs or something moving around upstairs. It didn't bother me, but it might bother a light sleeper. My parents heard nothing. Rooms were one floor under buffet, so super easy to run up and grab something or just hang out. Mattresses are a bit firm, but I asked More for mattress toppers and then they were great!

The Princess staff was *amazing*. Totally pampered and taken care of, we were reluctant to leave. They were very helpful getting my father in his wheelchair on/off ship. Also, I have a food allergy (gluten) and every meal I ate was safe. They would bring me the menu the night before and help me select something they could prepare. I noticed lots of other people doing this, so if you follow a special diet you will not feel like a prima donna. The food, and esp. deserts, were great!

In Ketchikan, we did a seaplane ride with Seawind Aviation - wonderful. In Juneau we did zip lining with Alaska Zipline Adventures. They made a panicked 45 year old feel safe and even have some fun. (That was the teenager's pick). Best of all was Skagway where we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake. Skies were blue, scenery stunning, and loved having some time away from crowds. This was also our least expensive adventure, so I would completely recommend it.

Disembarkation came too soon, but was otherwise smooth.

We can't wait to go back!! Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Golden Princess A701

Mendenhall Glacier

(5)

Our packaged included ziplining first, then we went to Mendenhall. We loved it, but wish we had more time and weren't so rushed.

Ziplining

(5)

Felt super safe with all their equipment and safety checks. I was a little panicked at the beginning, but our guides handled it well. If they offer you to try the bunny hill- do it!

Float Plane

(5)

Loved it! They picked us up near the ship and took us to their office. Flight was 1.5 hours with sometime docked on a lake. Scenery was amazing, service was great. They then dropped us off on the far side of Creek Street so we could walk balk.

Scenic Drive

(5)

This was the best, and cheapest, excursion yet! We rented a car in town (book early - there was a line) and drove all the way to Emerald Lake. It was a postcard picture perfect day. It was also nice to be away from crowds and just be by ourselves.

Butchart Gardens

(4)

Loved the town and the gardens, but time was too short. They did have fireworks (supposedly only on Sat nights) which were outstanding.