Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by savhsu

Cabin Category: B1
Entertainment Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Second and last NCL Disappointment - Bye-bye NCL

We tood a 4 day Bahama cruise on Norwegian Sky with a total of 15 family members (ages 9-86). This was our second NCL cruise, the first being to Bermuda in an Aft Suite. This cruise we all had different types of cabins, ours specifically was an Aft Balcony cabin. Six of the 15 in our group are gluten free, that was a real problem the first dinner and first breakfast. We were not well understood, answers were not clear or complete and we were misled by the asst. matre d', Ernesto, as to how to order a GF breakfast the next morning. Our second night we dined in the Bistro, paying an upcharge, and service was much better. After that we dined in the Palace dining room where we found Marija who was the asst matre d' in the Palace and was a Godsend!. Dining was much more pleasurable for the last 3 meals once we found her. But food was still medicre at best in the main dining rooms.

The cabins were by far the smallest I've ever experienced on a cruise. The Aft balcony we had was a micro balcony in comparison to RCCL and Carnival and Holland. The shower in our aft balcony room was barely large enough to successfully shower in (and I'm 5'3", 130lbs!).

Service aboard was barely passable in general, most of the main dining room service was much less than I'd expect to find at an average restaurant at home, Bistro was better, more like what I'm used to onboard in a main dining room - but it came with an upcharge. In general the service felt uncaring at best, a far cry from what I've experienced in my 12+ cruises over the last 20 years on several different lines and in several different catagories. No phone numbers for most ship departments, no phone dialing instructions in cabin so was calling rooms getting no answer, the third day was finally informed that we needed to dial "0" before the cabin number; the guest services phone went mostly unanswered, requiring us to walk to the desk and get in line for even minor questions/concerns. Just subpar service all the way around.

From now on I won't consider NCL as an option for my future cruises, there's so much better out there in the form of RCCL, Holland America and even Carnival. Bye-bye NCL.

Publication Date: 08/24/13