Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by Travel R: A Great Family Cruise !!!

Travel R
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Legend of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

A Great Family Cruise !!!

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

We had experienced a most wonderful time while cruising on the Legend of the Seas in the Western Mediterranean. For the most part, the ports were fabulous, and the ship itself provided a more than worthy means of transportation. Our family of four, including DD13 and DD8 had all enjoyed ourselves throughout the vacation  there was a great deal to see and many activities to meet the needs for all of our ages and likes.

I will not provide the details our journey in this particular review, but for those that would like to read the minutia for each port, meal, activity, pre- and post-cruise experiences, etc., you can visit the thread at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1876478. However, below, I will provide my comments on the various categories that Cruise Critic asks us to rate for our particular cruise.

Dining  4.0

I would actually give this category a 4.5, but the system only allows full digits. The service in the Main Dining Room More (we had MTD on Deck 5) was outstanding. Our waiter, and especially our assistant waiter were very attentive to our wants and needs each evening we had them as our wait staff (5 of 7 nights). The food was mostly anywhere from good to very good (as expected), with a few outstanding dishes. However, there were a few dishes that also missed (but food is subjective, and luckily the waiter will bring you alternate items). We ate in the MDR whenever we could for breakfast and dinner, and on the one sea day. Although the Windjammer (WJ) food was okay, the biggest disappointment regarding dining was the service in the WJ (lack of staff to clean up dirty dishes and lack of people asking if you wanted drinks beyond alcohol)  also it was very crowded at all times. However, we are more of a MDR type of people, so the WJ experience did not dampen our cruising experience.

Public Rooms  5

The Legend of the Seas was recently refurbished and the interior definitely reflected this. Everything looked fairly new and shiny. The public rooms were kept clean and lively, and I almost never felt crowded on this ship (with only the very minor exception of the few moments when leaving a show from the main theater in the evening and in the WJ, which is to be expected). The pool was also never crowded and although there were a few lounges reserved by the chair hogs, one can always find an empty seat. Although I will be honest, I did not make as much use of the public rooms on this vacation compared to past cruises.

Cabins  5+

I only had a balcony stateroom on this cruise (our first, moving up from steerage), and it was great. It was nice and clean, and it reasonably fit four people (two adults, a pre-teen, and a young teen). The space was a concern when booking  especially after reading on CC how a balcony was not enough room for two people, but it worked out very well  even when we had to dress in the morning or for dinner. There was space aplenty for all four of our suitcases under the bed, and enough space for all of us to store our clothing (including formal wear for two evenings). Our room steward (Richard) was also amazing and went out of his way to make us happy. For instance, I brought wine aboard and asked him for a corkscrew. He obliged and brought one that afternoon. Before dinner, I tried to open a bottle and the corkscrew broke. So I left the bottle on the counter with the broken corkscrew stuck inside. When I got back from dinner, the bottle was opened (with the cork replaced on top), with not only a new corkscrew by its side, but also two wine glasses.

Entertainment  5

I was very impressed with most of the entertainment on this ship. The aerial shows in the Centrum were fantastic (for adults and kids). They also had some excellent talent booked for this itinerary including a violinist, a Motown group, and a pair of acrobats. I would give this a 5+, but I am not a big fan of the usual Royal Caribbean singers & dancer group.

Spa & Fitness  5

Although I did make use of the running track on most mornings, I did not use the gym. The weather was too nice for the treadmills/ellipticals, etc. However, the track is freshly painted, and it was mostly passenger-free when I made use of it early in the morning. My DW did use the spa services for a massage. She said it was very nice, although not great  and a little more expensive than the same massage on land (even in our area). However, it is a cruise, we are on vacation, so a little expense like this is a nice bonus to an already good time.

Family & Children  5++

I cannot say enough how much we enjoyed this vacation and itinerary as a family (Rome, Barcelona, Valencia, and Rome (yes, I wrote it twice) being the highlights). There was something for everyone to enjoy. The ship itself was also a haven for kids. My younger daughter loved the pool with us, and going to Adventure Ocean. My older daughter absolutely loved the teen club and all the friends she met (and the freedom she had on this ship). There were things to do as a family, or solo, or as husband & wife, etc. No, this is not one of those big mega-floating hotels, but there was more than ample things for us to do.

Shore Excursions  4

Since I rounded down in my rating of dining (4.5 to a 4), I am going to round up from a 3.5 (which I would give it) to a 4. Below are the ports for my itinerary, and a quick summary of what we did, and the excursions. I would not recommend two of the three RCI excursions we took to other people:

Rome  We arrived here a day before and took advantage of that time to do the city Do-It-Yourself (DIY). Visiting the Coliseum/Forum and other areas such as the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, & Trevi Fountain  as well as walk through most of the city (unfortunately, no time to visit the Vatican). Seeing Rome DIY allowed us to go at our pace, and enable me to explain the various sites to my kids in terms that they would understand (I did a bunch of research pre-vacation). It also saved a lot of money, since most of the Rome tours (RCI & private) are fairly pricy.

Genoa  We took RCIs Genoa City & Aquarium Tour. The aquarium was a huge disappointment. There was not as much as in most US aquariums, and they had it set up so all visitors follow a one-way path from the entrance to the exit. We were in and out in less than 45 minutes. The city itself seemed a little quaint, although a little seedy as well. There were not many must-see areas in the city, and it could have been done very easily DIY. We also did not care much for the tour guide.

Marseilles  We took RCIs Cassis Tour. The trip up the coast was beautiful, but could not get great pictures out the bus windows. The trip to the top of the cliff over the town was cancelled due to winds (not the fault of the tour guide, but disappointing). Since we did not go to the cliff, we had more time to spend in Cassis. The problem was that we arrived a little after ten thirty in the morning and most stores and restaurants did not begin opening up until closer to noon. So it was a picturesque town, but not much to do there in the morning. We spent time as a family, which was nice, but would have taken a different tour to a different city, if I was to do this again. Once again, we did not care for this tour guide as well.

Barcelona  After two not-so-great RCI tours (I did not go with private tour groups on this cruise), I was hoping I would not get a third. We were happily surprised to get a great tour Barcelona City Tour with a very good tour guide. This tour allowed us to visit (although not go inside) all of the highlight attractions of this city, as well as travel up many of its famous streets. It was a great teaser tour to show us everything, and also brought us back in the early afternoon with enough time to then see the city DIY, which we spent in the Las Ramblas area.

Palma  This was a hard port to find an excursion that we could all agree on, and left it open and figured we could always book something last minute. When that last moment came, we decided that we were tired and spent the day on the mostly abandoned ship  it became our sit by the pool day.

Valencia  This was a very nice DIY family day spent mostly at the City of Arts and Sciences. A great museum area with amazing architecture that we all enjoyed.

Embarkation  5+

This was a very easy on, with almost no waiting at all embarkation process. It was smooth and painless and really, really quick. We spent more time at the information tables on our way onto the ship. Disembarkation was just as easy  we had self-debarkation and left the ship just as quickly (if not quicker) without any hassles.

Service  5+

We received amazing service on this ship, especially from our wait-staff and our room steward. We have had both of these services being just okay on previous cruises, but they were both outstanding on this ship. As mentioned above, the only place I do not think the service was outstanding was in the Windjammer, however, that did not diminish my rating of a 5+ to a 5.

Value for Money  5+

There are almost no vacations available where you can get a better bang for the buck. Was it the perfect with absolutely no glitches in the cruise? No, but no vacation is ever perfect. The only drawback is the cost to get from the US to Europe to take the cruise  but that cannot take away anything from the cruise itself. Just try comparing this to a land vacation that visits all of these cities with lodging, food, travel expenses, etc.  you cannot beat the cruise.

Rates  5+

I got a very good deal on this cruise. I still stayed over $100 less than the price drop after final payment date (although the inside cabins took a huge drop), plus I was given $200 OBC to boot. So, I got this for a great price. It was also $1000 less for my family on a similar itinerary on Liberty that was sailing at the same time. Would I have liked to pay less? Of course  but very comfortable with the rate I paid. Less

Read more Legend of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Legend of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Legend of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 7526

Our StateroomOne question that is brought up on CC from time to time, is how many people can comfortably fit into my stateroom? I do not believe that this review will answer that questions, comfort and room size requirements is a personal thing  but for my family (2 adults, 2 DDs  8 & 13), on this cruise, at this time, the D3 balcony was more than adequate.We have cruised before, lodging in inside cabins, and outside ocean-views, but this was our first balcony stateroom. Having been in these other categories before, I knew that I would need something larger to accommodate us and our two children. Since this was a Mediterranean cruise, I also wanted to have a balcony. A junior suite was $1000 more, which is a significant amount (for us) when added to the other costs of this vacation. At the time, they did not have any connecting balconies available (Category E or D). Another option posed to me (by an RCI rep) was two connecting oceanview rooms on Deck 2 or 3 (only about $200 more than the one balcony) or get a balcony with an inside directly across the hall (I do not remember the price difference, but I immediately ruled it out). Taking everything into consideration, I felt that the 191 square feet, plus the additional room on the balcony (42 sq. ft.) would suit our needs, and I was pretty intent on having a balcony for this itinerary.I selected room #7526, which is a Category D3 - Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony. FYI  I had already added a short summary of this stateroom on the RCI Cabin Info Compilation thread at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38981986&highlight=7526#post38981 986 .Why the One Balcony Room was Sufficient for My Family:We are a fairly young family with a 13 year old and an 8 year old daughter. If my daughters were old 1 room would probably not work, or if I had one daughter and one son. We really do not require a lot of room  nor do we have any mobility issues. Although there is room during the day, when the couch is pulled out, any additional room and walking space is severely limited. This was a port-intensive cruise which would keep us out of the room for most of the day. During the late afternoon and evenings we had planned on seeing shows, getting involved in activities, and the kids attending the teen clubs.Us adults  although we did not become involved in as many activities as we had on prior cruises, if we were in the cabin during the afternoon, it was sans the kids. Getting ready for dinner seemed to be the only real busy time, but I made use of the balcony. We did not really get back to the cabin at night until after the show (10-10:30), whereas my DD8 would go to sleep, my DW would watch TV, and I would go out to the balcony DD8  Except for maybe the first day, she was out of the room most of the day until it was time to get ready for dinner, then after returning with us from a show. DD13  Was hardly in the room except getting ready for dinner, and not returning until midnight to almost 1 am each evening. For all  mornings were a little crowded since the couch bed was pulled out, but once again, I was up, showered, and ready by the time they got dressed and out on the balcony to give them room. I believed, when booking, that would make use of the balcony. In actuality, I did so more than even I had expected (and loved every minute of it). The balcony also became essential when it was time to get ready in the morning and before dinner. I would be the one to shower & get ready early, I would subsequently sit out on the balcony so the girls could do their thing. It had worked out well for us (and there was no major storm that kept me indoors). Stateroom DescriptionThe room is much larger than any of the rooms (inside/oceanview) than we have had on previous cruises. With the couch closed, there is ample room for the four of us to more around freely, although moving past the bed and through the entranceway (adjoined to the front closet and restroom) could be tight (especially at the beginning and end of the cruise when packing & unpacking). However, we all managed just fine. It also became tight at times to walk around the pulled out couch to get to the balcony (and the use of the desk/chair was impossible). Part of it is also expectations. We have travelled and stayed at some very large hotel suites. We are on a cruise and our expectations were being able to get a clean and comfortable room to sleep and store our items  and we went into this with the expectation of the stateroom not being very large.Bed  The bed (Royal King) was fairly comfortable (sleeping was not a problem for any of us). It was large enough for us, and even large enough to fit the DW, myself and my DD8 when watching TV. I had no qualms about the bed, or the bedding, and neither did my family. Even the pull-out couch was comfortable to my kids (although too soft for me).Television & Programming  Since I mentioned the TV, let me continue by discussing it. The flat screen TVs were nice and crystal clear, and they were able to move around the room for better viewing from the bed (which was off to the side) or the couch (which was directly in front of it). The variety of TV channels was very limited, even for English speaking passengers. There were two movie channels  although one always seemed to have some type of RCI commercial or programming on it, and the movie selection was not especially good. There were two childrens stations, but one was for much younger kids (a positive if you have younger kids with you). There were a few non-English stations, and the standard channel with info from the bridge. However, there seemed to be many stations that played RCI programming with all of the port talks and replays of the evenings shows and newlywed game (which must have been on a continuous loop for at least 24 hours). As I mentioned in an above post, the cruise director was everywhere on every one of these RCI stations. On the other hand, we did not spend much time watching TV, so I really cannot complain.Air Conditioner  The AC system in this room worked perfectly. Although most days it did not get past the low to mid 80s, the room was always cool, and the system was not even on full blast. For someone like myself that likes it coo, this was of utmost importance to me.Mini-Bar / Fridge  We had a little min-bar fridge in our room (Category E balconies do not). I kept my red wine and some bottles of water in the fridge and it actually kept my items cold (a complaint that others have made), and there was room for my items. [When to chill or not chill wines is a discussion for another website, but for fruiter red wines, I prefer them served cool, while I prefer my white wines room temperature (except perhaps slightly chilled for a burgundy or a full bodied chardonnay).][With both the AC and the fridge working better than expected, I was a very happy man.]Vanity Area  We really did not use the desk/vanity area much, although the girls did use the mirror for putting on makeup. Once again, we were not in the room much to sit and do any writing, and the area was rendered useless when the couch was opened up as a bed. One thing I did like is that there were two rows of shelves to either side of the mirror that came in handy for storing extra items  including all of my travel books.Lighting  The lighting in the room was fine (as soon as we were able to figure out which switch controlled which light). With the shade open, there was also plenty of light coming in from the balcony. We did not bring a nightlight with us on this cruise, but because of the small pathways around the beds, and since we had my daughters in the room, we kept the bathroom light on all night (with the bathroom door slightly ajar). At night, it did get pretty dark in the room without that light and we were worried about the kids having to get out of their bed and past ours without hurting themselves (or otherwise would not have used all of that electricity all night). There are no lights out on the balcony (as I have read on CC, this is standard). If there is a light in the room, and with the shade opened slightly, there was decent lighting outside. When the inside light was off, there was usually enough light from the waning moon to see what I was doing  which was mostly sitting and listening to my iPod. Outlets  Between all of our iPods, Kindles, and digital cameras, we had a sufficient number of outlets for our room  for the four of us. Although I must add that both of my DDs did not use their iPods, Kindles, or PS3s very much during the cruise itself (which is the way it should be)  but were able to have everything fully recharged for the haul home.Hair Dryer  Although I personally did not use the hair dryer, my family did. They did mention that it was not the most high-powered machine they ever used, but it was good enough to do up their hair, even on formal night.Bathroom  The bathroom was just as small as I remembered it, although I believe that I have had smaller ones (maybe on the Empress). It had everything I remember, and since it is not a suite, it did not have any of the toiletries except small bars of soap. We did not bring any of our own shampoo (did not want to deal with the amount of liquid items allowed on flights), and used the mystery stuff in the dispenser on the wall. None of us complained about the mystery shampoo  it was fine, but more importantly, the pressure from the shower head was fantastic. I will make no exaggerations, the bathroom is tight, but with a little flexibility there was enough room, even for me, to get dressed. Another short note is that the shower curtain is magnetic and mostly stayed in place, but the area within the shower stall is also small and can easily be opened if you knock into it (which may get some water on the bathroom floor). Also remember, there is some storage room in the bathroom to use (for things that may be able to get damp).My only issue with the bathroom was that the hot water from the small wash basin did not freely flow with hot water, and if it did, you had to wait for a minute until it got warm. Balcony Door I am not sure if only applies to my cabin or to all cabins, or if it is an issue with every room, but if the door is not closed just right (and I may have to try two or three times), the wind will seep through (and will create an annoying noise of the air coming through). Also as a side note, I brought clips for the window shades/drapes, but they did not move, so I did not make use of them. When closed at night, the room was almost pitch black.Storage  I have to say that all four of us were able to completely empty out our suitcases and place everything into the many spaces within the room. All four of our suitcases fit under the bed which saved us A LOT of space. One tip was to fold all dirty clothing and place it into the suitcases (using one suitcase at a time). This way we were ahead of ourselves when it came time to pack. Also large souvenirs were also placed into a separate suitcase and therefore out of the way. One thing that has to be established is that everyone has to make an extra effort to keep their items neat and organized (my DDs did very well  I wish that they would be that good at home). Room Seward  I know that some readers do not care who my room Seward is since they are most likely never to have him. [And yes, I did mention how good he was in my survey, and even emailed RCI after the cruise  but I also want say so here one more time.] But for those of you that may have Richard from the Philippines, you are getting a great room Seward. When we first got into the room, my DW discovered that there were only towels for two people (a concern because after schlepping around Rome that morning, getting to the ship, and possibly taking a swim that afternoon), we would all most likely be taking showers prior to dinner. [FYI  two of our bags were already outside our room by this time with the two others in the hallway near the elevators.] Richard greeted us and introduced himself a few minutes after we had arrived and asked us if we needed anything. We told him about the towels, and also asked him for some ice and a corkscrew. He said he would have everything for us as soon as he could. He had the towels fairly quickly (and this is with being involved in getting everyones luggage to their rooms), and by the time we returned from dinner, he had the ice and corkscrew awaiting us. We also noticed that RCI did not provide us with the cups that came with the beverage package  Richard said that the quickest thing to do would be to call the front desk. After calling them, they said no problem, but would I like to go down there and pick it up, or should they send someone up to our room with it (I opted for them to bring it us since I was busy unpacking). Someone brought up the cups in less than a half an hour. During the week Richard was always quick to make up our room, and always seemed to be around in the afternoon to my DD8s chagrin  she liked opening the door herself (as she does in hotels), but Richard was always quick and had our door opened for us whenever he saw us walking down the hall. I did not drink the wine on the first night, but before dinner on the second evening, I tried to open a bottle of wine. With my super strength, I broke the corkscrew in the cork, so no wine that evening, and I left the bottle on the vanity table. When we returned from dinner, the bottle of wine was open, a new corkscrew was lying next to it, and he also provided us with two wine glasses. Although we did not make any other requests for the remainder of the cruise, he brought us a fresh bucket of ice each night, and kept our room clean. He was also very courteous and friendly every time we had contact with him. I left him an extra tip and gift at the end of the cruise (ill discuss tipping in a later post).Balcony  the balcony itself was fairly clean and included two chairs and a table. There seemed to be ample room for two adults (or even two adults and one kid), however, there was not very much room for all four of us to be out there at the same time for any extended period of time. It was on the balcony where you can see where they did not fully change everything during the refurbishment in February. There were very visible rust stains on the ledge/railing of the balcony.The view was very nice and there was only a very, very, limited obstruction from the canopy from the balconies below and above. Maybe a 5% obstruction from seeing directly below the ship  not really very much at all.Benefits of a Balcony (To Me) [Now that I have had a balcony, Ill never go back]There is a thread on CC not long ago discussing the benefits of having an inside cabin over an outside or balcony. Having now been in all three, I can say that there are benefits to each, but now that I have had a balcony, I am hooked. Some of the benefits I prefer a balcony include (once again you may not see these as being benefits, or do not outweigh some of the benefits (e.g., cost) of an inside room):Being one with the Sea  Yes, you can go up aboard one of the decks and look over the railing and feel the fresh sea breeze on your face. However, you do not have the same privacy as when you are on a balcony, especially late at night, sitting in the comfort of your area and just chilling out. Although I did not have a glass of wine on the balcony during this trip (it just did not work out), I can also imagine the enjoyment of doing so. It was just so amazing sitting out there in the middle of the ocean. And yes, on previous cruises I have sat out on deck, even in quiet areas, but from personal experience (for me), it is just not the same. Favorite Cruise Memories  Some of my favorite memories of my past cruise occurred out on the balcony. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I sat one night with my daughter on my lap trying to make shapes out of the clouds, or watching the pyrotechnic show from a lightning storm miles away on shore. Or as mentioned directly above, sitting out and being one with the Sea. Extra Room  The balcony came in very handy in the morning when getting ready for the day and before dinner getting ready for dinner. I got ready early, then left the girls to do their thing while I sat out on the balcony enjoying myself. Without me in the room, they could change and have the extra space to get ready. When DD Went to Sleep. The balcony was a nice place to retreat to when my DD8 went to sleep. She does not like the TV or many lights on, so instead of having to leave the room or sit inside in the darkness, it provided me a place to go, or if I went out there with my DW, we could speak to each other and still be close to my daughter if she needed us. Great Views Pulling into Port. I know that you can look out your port window (most are small), or go up on deck, but while still in your PJs, you can go out on deck and see some magnificent views while pulling into the port (or some great views while actually docked in port). Although we did not use room service on this cruise, I have read that many CC members order in breakfast and eat while watching the views. Everyones needs, wants, and situations are different, and there was nothing wrong with any of the inside or oceanview cabins I have had. However, now that I have experienced a balcony, I am more than likely going to book balconies on future cruises.One day Ill try a suite, and probably turn my back on a balcony.LocationI chose a room that was close to the stairs/elevator and closer to the top of the ship than lower. Room #7526 is on Deck 7. There is only one deck above with guest rooms (Deck 8). There are guestrooms above and below this room, so I do not have to worry about any noises coming from either location. Although when your room right next to an elevator, you can be asking for trouble with all of the noise, by being just a few rooms away (3), you avoid the noise, and still are close enough to them and the stairwell. Deck 7 is also somewhat in the mid-way for the decks with all of the activities that we would attend (three decks from everything)  from Deck 4 (Anchors Away Lounge & lower floor of MDR) to Deck 10 (Kid/Teen club & running track)  so the elevator was not really needed most of the time.We really do not get sea sick, so the height of the deck did not matter, and being towards the front or the aft did not really matter to us as well (except for being all the way in the front or all the way towards the aft, while not being in the aft itself).For this Mediterranean itinerary, I chose the starboard (right) side instead of port (left). Although one can never really predict what angle the ship may dock, the ship will be mostly cruising from east to west, so for most of the cruise, my room would be facing towards the coastline. It was a decent gamble, and I think it paid off with both the views while the ship was moving, and some great views while in port.SummaryIn summary, we were very happy with our stateroom, and I would not hesitate to get another similar balcony room again. The kids were okay in the room (my DD13 was hardy in it), and we had no real complaints.

City Tour

(5)

Aquarium

(2)

We took RCIs Genoa City & Aquarium Tour. The aquarium was a huge disappointment. There was not as much as in most US aquariums, and they had it set up so all visitors follow a one-way path from the entrance to the exit. We were in and out in less than 45 minutes. The kids did not hate it, but did not like it very much either.

City Tour

(3)

Cassis Walking Tour

(3)

We arrived here a day before and took advantage of that time to do the city Do-It-Yourself (DIY). Visiting the Coliseum/Forum and other areas such as the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, & Trevi Fountain  as well as walk through most of the city (unfortunately, no time to visit the Vatican). Seeing Rome DIY allowed us to go at our pace, and enable me to explain the various sites to my kids in terms that they would understand (I did a bunch of research pre-vacation). It also saved a lot of money, since most of the Rome tours (RCI & private) are fairly pricy. An amazing city that everyone (adults and kids) enjoyed and we all hope to return to someday.