Carnival Dream Cruise Review by KBfromNC: Carnival Dream

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Dream

Sail Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We have cruised Carnival a few times and have always had a great time. Had a great time on the Dream as well but noticed a few changes. The ship itself is awesome!!

Food was very good and if you cant find SOMETHING to eat that you like, its YOUR problem, not Carnivals. There are so many options available. Our dining staff was excellent and the Head Maitre d Shane was AWESOME!! He was so funny and the dining staff performed some fun routines every night!! I loved it!! :o)

I must say, I was surprised at how casual some folks were dressed in the dining room. I guess I'm used to the days when even on informal nights, folks still managed to wear casual/dress wear. Some folks showed up in tee shirts, shorts and sneakers for dinner and that to me is more Lido deck wear NOT dining room wear. Its not just Carnival as I'm reading this same observation on other cruise lines as well. It was disappointing to see how sloppy some folks looked in the dining room but I guess that's More the new norm. :o(

Pool area was very spacious BUT the pools are way too small to accommodate all the guests. Slide looked like a LOT of fun. Poolside entertainment was fun!!

Jaime the cruise director was excellent!! Her side kick Gumby was hysterical!! The entertainment on the ship was good (at times very Glee like). The lead female singer Janea Luongo (sp??) was EXCELLENT!! She had one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. She should ditch Carnival for Broadway, she's THAT good. The break dancing hip hop show was AMAZING!! That is NOT to be missed!! Comedy Zone was GREAT!! ALL the acts we saw were SO funny and Jeff the Fun Dude was a great host!! He was great about finding a seat for everyone who wanted to see the show. Get there early as the lines to get in were down the staircase.

Casino was VERY smokey. At times SO smokey that you could barely breathe just walking thru. YUCK :o(

Meet the Captain was disappointing. It seemed unorganized. I'm from the old days when you went to Meet the Captain at the Formal Night cocktail party, he introduced himself and staff on stage and talked a bit about himself/them. This was a lame meet and greet and drinks were NOT included. We got to shake his hand and talk a bit but that was about it. He didn't speak at this event. Apparently the first night of sailing he did a "meet the captain" but we missed it as we were used to that happening on Formal Night. :o(

Funship Freddy was NO WHERE to be found. I missed seeing him walking around and being at the events. From what I'm to learn he has been assigned to kid camp only and is no longer a regular figure walking around the ship ;o( Boo...I loved him ;o)

Ports of call were good BUT we didn't have enough time, in my opinion, to really get out and enjoy the area. We were in ports for like 6 hours and sometimes we were only able to stay at a beach for 2 hours before we had to get back in time for ships curfew.

Rooms were very comfortable and Carnival certainly does a great job utilizing small spaces. Balcony was awesome!! Cabin attendant was really good and took care of all our needs.

We had a great time and ship was beautiful. Carnival has never disappointed us and anything negative I wrote was just an observation but would in no way prevent us from sailing Carnival again. If you're going on the Dream, have a wonderful time!! :o) Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Empress

Segway Tour

(4)

Had fun on the tour BUT there's not much to see on the island. The beaches are some of the most beautiful I have seen but the island tour was limited. I was amazed at how much litter was scattered around in town and stray animals roaming free (horses, donkeys and dogs). I'm glad we took the tour for the fun of the Segways but the island doesn't have much to see. We had a GREAT time at the port area beach and just hanging out!! The port area is awesome!!!

Yawn...I can do without this port of call. We go there on Sunday's and often times stores are CLOSED and to take a tour to Atlantis, it costs an arm and a leg. This time we opted for Junkanoo beach. Its walking distance from the ship. It was nice. Swam in the beautiful water and ordered a couple of Pina Colada's from a local beach bar. They barely had rum in them and at &7.00 per drink, I was hoping to taste SOME rum :o( Weren't there long so we were back on ship by 2pm.

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

Walked to the Fort/Cemetery and thru old San Juan. We have family there so we know the area pretty well. Ate at a local place and had the best Mojito's!! Love this port of call and for those who've never been, there are lots of great tours to take. Wish we were there longer ;o)

Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

We have been here before and due to time restraints we opted to cab it to Sapphire beach for the day. 10.00 one way per person for the cab ride. Beach is beautiful with snorkeling, food, drinks on the beach but again, due to time restraints we didn't stay long.

Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews