Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by sabrejobs: Our NCL DAWN Bermuda trip from Boston

sabrejobs
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Bermuda Cruises

Our NCL DAWN Bermuda trip from Boston

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Boston

Before we boarded, we were surprised you can't register your credit card online. Glich #1. If you have a porter walking toward the back of the line offering to take your luggage, TAKE HIM UP ON IT. The entire wait was just for a porter. They remove your luggage before you enter to check in. Check in was fast/smooth. Watch the lines. We were in a long line and they opened another one, much shorter. The bon voyage party was VERY loud in the outside pool deck. I guess loud=fun! The dining rooms were fine. The 472-seat Venetian was faster, service-wise, than the 344-seat Aqua, but the Aqua had windows, while the Venetian was decorated tastefully with huge murals showing scenes of Venice. Though not hasty, service is generally prompt. The hardest part was being able to join others at a table for 6 or 8. It seemed foreign to the maitre d'.

I have been to Bermuda about 8 times, 3 by ship. I have stopped in Hamilton, St. George's and this time, Port Royal. By far, Port Royal is the More least accessible by motor bike. You drive at least 7 miles before you see any scenery. Not fun. The mopeds are much faster than I remember 14 years ago and at my age (66), they were more difficult to maneuver. Getting them up on the kickstand was a challenge, too. The mopeds are also VERY EXPENSIVE. They charge $50 for one day and then add $30 for insurance. If you are renting for 3 days, the insurance is only $10 a day ($30 total), but for a one day rental, it's prohibitive.

I rented the bikes all 8 times before, but things are different now. There are more deaths and serious injuries. The mopeds I rented before went about 35 MPH tops. I pushed this to almost 45 with no problem. If you want to rent, but are a little skittish, try doing it on a Sunday when there's less traffic. Also, you can take the ferry right from Port Royal to the town of Hamilton with you moped in tow. This is not so for the ferry from Port Royal to St. George's. I hope that changes.

We sailed 7/19/13. In Boston the temps had been over 88 degrees for several days. When we arrived in Bermuda, we had more of the same, making it harder to use the mopeds. Our sweat made it difficult to maneuver the speed hand grips. The heat was brutal. We loved using the ferries, however. We bought a 15-ride ferry tickets EACH. For 3 days, that was way too much. One would have been too much. We used the ferries about 6 times in 3 days; we would have used them 8 or 10 at the most if we hadn't used the mopeds one day. Don't buy the 3 days pass at the tourist office right off the ship. Walk a little farther and you will see outside a trailer type building with a man selling the tickets. It's much cheaper to buy the 15 ride set for $30 and that would be enough for 2, rather than paying about $35 each for the pass.

St George's is always worthwhile. We were there at 12N and got to see the daily dunking. It was at the main square and it's the best video I think we have ever filmed...a cute show (free and outdoors). They find two local "law breakers." One (the man) was from the audience and the gal trollop was a local who made the show. She was perfect for the role and really played it up. She got dunked but good.

The bar servers in the casino were really nice. My BF got a FREE drink card the 2nd day...hate to think what he lost to deserve this... We also got an invite to an upscale dinner with a bottle of wine, compliments of the casino. They treat you better than Princess.

We arrived home and in less than 3 weeks, we were offered 2 FREE CRUISES (one each) on NCL, compliments of TWIN RIVERS. When we were on the Bermuda cruise, a few people were telling us they met others who had won the same way and were on our cruise. We hadn't been to Twin Rivers in over a year. What a shock.

We would definitely take the Bermuda cruise again...and may be at that! Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 5502

Our cabin was the usual size. We loved that the bathroom was larger than any we had on Princess or Carnival. It was almost a full shower. Don't care for the port holes. Love the large windows on Princess and, I believe, Carnival, too. If yours accommodates a 3rd or 4th person, you have to watch your head getting in and out of bed. The bed above sticks out about 10" about 5' off the ground. It hurts when you bump into it.