Carnival Glory Cruise Review by twin123185

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: twin123185
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Cabin Category: 8B
See More About: Carnival Glory Cruise Reviews | Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Great Weekend

I always try to go on a yearly Carnival cruise to nowhere when they have it out of NYC. For years it was on the Miracle and every one was great except the last one in 2011 where the crew so obviously didn't give a sh.. it soured me a bit on Carnival. Last year they skipped this cruise for the first time in years but brought it back this year with the Glory. I am certainly glad they did. this time I took my grown kids and had a nice family weekend getaway.

Embarking was the quickest EVER. I drove to the pier from NJ and despite warnings from Carnival about parking issues we parked fairly quickly at 11:45 and was on the ship a few minuted after noon. No waiting - have had to wait 1-2 hours sometimes in the past. Rooms were not available until about 1:30 so we had lunch and the Guy Fieri Burger joint was as expected excellent.

After the obligatory tour of the ship - it was a new one for me - I got to my room which is typical Carnival - plenty of space and with a balcony door that stays open without bungee cords!

Typical of this cruise the open decks were already crowded with loud drunks/partygoers.

Dinner at the Emerald Steakhouse was excellent - though I would not recommend the rib eye. The $35 pp charge is really worth it.

The Alchemy bar is a great place. The Casino was extremely crowded both days - very lively but I lost some $$$. The on board comedian was good also.

Food in the dining room as excellent - Sunday brunch had unusual offerings for a cruise ship and the 2nd night lobster tail dinner was simply the best of any ship I have been on. They were really that good.

My only issue on this trip was the entertainment. It was very heavy on Latino entertainment as far as music and the musical show was concerned. Just not my thing. Most people I know hated the show they chose. Plus they did not have a show both nights like in years past. Perhaps since this was a summer cruise and they had so many kids on board they really needed the showroom the first night for the kids activities. Too bad. The previous cruises had much more mainstream shows.

All in all a great cruise. The price had dropped also which was nice. The shopping as usual excellent although Carnival has really raised their cigarette and liquor prices substantially over years past but still much cheaper than home. I look forward to the next one.

Publication Date: 08/19/13