Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by koolgal100

Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BF

A Wonderful Epic Journey

It was a lovely spring day in Barcelona when my husband and I boarded the Norwegian Epic. We had arrived in Barcelona 3 days before in Madrid and stayed at the BCN Gotic Apartments in Barri Gotic, in the heart of the old city. Being Labour Day, it was a public holiday but there was a demonstration right in front of our street. We were worried and took a cab. The journey was only supposed to take 15 minutes but due to road blockages, it took us 45 minutes to reach the port. Fortunately we made it on time and was at the pier at 1.00pm. The boarding process was slow and laborious. We waited for almost an hour before we were on the ship. We were very excited as this was the biggest ship we had ever cruised - 4100 passengers! The cruise was sold out. There were signs in the Guest Relations saying that they had no more room for people who are thinking of switching cabins.

To avoid the crowds, we went to Taste for lunch. It was surprisingly quiet. I think most of the crowds were in the Garden Cafe having the lunch buffet. After lunch we checked out our room. It has a lovely balcony and in a quiet location towards the bow of the ship. We were happy with the room but did not like the separate bathroom and toilet arrangement. That night we went to Taste again for our dinner and we were served Surf and Turf. That is my favourite dish during the cruise. Someone was playing at the piano and the place had a lovely garden-like atmosphere.

We were booked for the Blue Men Show at the Epic Theatre. I had already prebooked this online prior to the cruise. It was certainly an unique show and the Blue Men were very versatile performers. We enjoyed the show and wandered over to Fat Cats Jazz & Blues Club for more live entertainment and our night cap.

The next day was another beautiful day. We had arrived at Marseille, France. We did not join the cruise excursion but popped out for a short while at the wharf where there were some local handicraft and gift stores. I bought a little wooden ship for my son and practised my school girl French with the lady vendor.

nearby shopping mall and spent the day there relaxing and people watching. For dinner That night we went to Moderno Churrascaria Speciality Restaurant for a lovely Brazilian Barbeque meal. We went prepared for a heavy meal but the meats kept on coming. The service was excellent. Our waitress was Anne, from the Philippines. She was very attentive. My husband liked the beef skirt steak best. It was very tender. I also enjoyed the side dishes like the salad and the seafood bisque. After dinner, we saw Legends in Concert. Tom Jones, Tina Turner and Adele were in the house! We were clapping and stomping our feet with gusto to the music. It was awesome.

The next day we were at sea. While my husband participated in the Poker Tournament, I gyrated and sashayed my way to some Latin tunes in line dancing. It was hip roaring fun and I worked out a sweat so that I can have more yummy desserts for dinner. That night we had dinner at the Manhattan Room. We went early and had a good seat where we could see the band playing. After dinner we went to the Headliners for Lost Locos Ole. We laughed so hard that we almost fell off our seats. We went to our favourite Bar, the Fat Cats to enjoy Charlie Love and his Silky Smooth Band after the show ended.

All too soon, our final day on Epic dawned. We arrived at Palma Majorca, Spain. It was a beautiful day, sunny and bright. We took a walk to a we went back to Taste and after that we saw the Maestranza Spanish Ballet in the Headliners. Great show with some hot flamenco dancing and pulsating tunes. My husband was invited by one of the flamenco dancers on stage to dance towards the end of the show. I wished I could have taken a photo of him but photos were not allowed.

Overall it was a lovely finale to our Grand Tour of Europe - 6 weeks away from home. We started our European adventure with Norwegian Jade, spent 10 days in between in Istanbul and Madrid and culminated with Norwegian Epic. What an Epic journey! The service in Epic is unparalleled, the staff were very attentive and helpful. The entertainment is out of this world. The food was plentiful, above average. We will be back for more.

Publication Date: 08/18/13