Disney Dream Cruise Review by Disneygranny

Member Name: Disneygranny
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 4C
See More About: Disney Dream Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
        3-6 1.0
        7-9 2.0
        10-12 1.0
        13-15 1.0

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
1st Time Cruisers..Loved it!

My husband and I celebrated our 40th anniversary this year. We wanted to do something different and decided to round up our kids and grandkids for a Disney Cruise. I chose the Dream because it was the newest and largest of the ships. For the most part, I can find very little to say against the cruise or the ship. There were a couple of things however that I would like to mention.

We stayed in stateroom 7592. It was a nice stateroom, pretty much what I expected it to be. I was a little surprised by the bathrooms though. I loved the fact that they were separated into two compartments, but the ceiling height was low. My husband is 6'1" and only had a few inches to spare. The public bathrooms out on the ship were fine..it was just the staterooms that were the shorter height. My son in law, who is a bigger man, felt very cramped.

The second thing I would like to make mention are the elevators. I hated them. When we first boarded, there was a CM there to help keep some resemblance of order. He would help each family in the order in which they came up to the elevators. After that? It was a fend for yourself. Good luck. I don't know that they need someone there all day, but at dinner times and showtimes, party times..etc a CM would be so much help. I know Disney can't control people's behavior, but they can give a crowd a direction. Not that i'm an expert, but take notice of the order in which you came to the elevators. If one opens up and the ones there before you aren't going that way, then by all means load up. But try to be courteous and recognize your position in line. Also, let the elevator empty before getting on. Very frustrating to move to the front of the elevator trying to get off on your deck when others are coming in adding to the people to get past. And talk to your kids before you go about elevator etiquette.

I don't want to end on a sour note, so I will tell all the good things that I encountered on the cruise.

The food is amazing. So is the quantity and variety. Cabana's is awesome for breakfast and lunch buffet!! Some of the best roasted Turkey i've ever eaten. The shrimp were huge and plentiful! Different foods offered every night. I was afraid it would be the same menu each night. I loved how everyone got into Pirate night. Even in the food. Pizza was so-so as was the hamburgers, but nice to have available after Cabana closed and dinners were over.

Unlimited ice cream and soda's. Loved the idea of a sanitizing hand wipe given to you as you entered the dining area. Seen people turned away for no shoes and shirts.

The cast members were amazing as well. Did not have an encounter with any one of them that was even slightly rude. Even though they were over the top nice and helpful, it felt genuine. Our stateroom host, Suta, greeted us each and every time he saw us, by our first name. So did our servers at dinner. They learned our names, and drink preferences from the very first meal. Since they rotated with us, we became friends and had so much fun with them, that we hated to say goodbye. We celebrated our anniversary and 4 birthdays with them and they sang to us and made it feel very special.

One concern we had, was one, or all of us getting seasick. My husband took Dramamine the first day, I took Bomine each day, and we were fine. We never knew when we left the dock it was so smooth. We felt the most motion when we were on the lower decks, but even then, it was still very smooth. Not much more than a plane ride if you ask me. I also tried to not just stare at the water as we sailed to help avoid getting sick. I would look a minute, then stare at the horizon to keep everything balanced as I had read to do.

Loved all the options our grandkids had while sailing. The different clubs and activities kept them busy! No boring moments at all. Actually, there was so much to do, they didn't get it all done. Do wish family karoake was a little longer or offered more times. We loved it, but it was nearly full by the time it started both times. If you got there even 5 min late, you didn't stand a chance unless someone left or chickened out. Still a lot of fun though.

Overall, this cruise was simply amazing. Yeah, I had an issue with the elevators and bathroom, but the positive things about this cruise far outweigh those. We can't wait to do it again!

Publication Date: 08/18/13