Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by deblou_20151

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by deblou_20151
Celebrity Solstice
Celebrity Solstice
Member Name: deblou_20151
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: C1
See More About: Celebrity Solstice Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Alaska 8/2/13 to 8/9/13

This was our third cruise on Celebrity. I am sad to say that it was not what I had experienced before and what were looking forward to.

The ship itself is beautiful and it was very clean all the time.

We booked Concierge Class because our agent quoted us a price that was less than a regular veranda. All the perks they advertise with Concierge Class except the priority check-in were unexceptional. Priority luggage delivery? Three of four bags arrived about 4 hours after our 12:00 check-in. One was broken beyond repair. The bag with my cosmetics was misplaced for hours, arrived at about 7pm. This is priority luggage delivery???? Not such a good start! Wilted flowers in stateroom. I couldn't see anything special about the stateroom. The bathroom was nice, maybe a little bigger than most. The shower had a nice curved glass door. Maybe all the bathrooms on the Solstice are like this. We were previously on the Eclipse and I remember a shower curtain. Nice to not have the shower curtain sticking to you.

The advertised Concierge hor'dourves were not very good any day. A few olives, a blob of some kind of dip, some stale chips. Looked very similar every day. The last night we received some mozzarella balls and grape tomatoes in olive oil and basil. Nothing to pick them up with! A toothpick would have been nice. Note to self...don't pay extra for Concierge Class, not worth it.

Dining room...oh what a disappointment. We had a beautiful table for two next to a window. The waiter was incredibly inexperienced and the sommelier was dismissive and inattentive. As soon as he realized we had a beverage package and would not be ordering bottles of wine, he couldn't be bothered. I asked the waiter for a different sorbet, We did this for the first two nights then we ate at the Oceanview for a couple nights. The last three nights we did select seating which was so poorly represented we didn't even know it existed! Totally different experience. Waiters, assistant waiters and sommelier were incredibly friendly and accommodating. My husband asked for an ice cream that was not on the menu and within a few minutes the assistant waiter had served it. This is the way it should be! Food was OK, not exceptional.

It was very hard to get attention at the bars or in the Oceanview. Drink waiters would be walking by with their trays above their heads, making no eye contact, not asking if you wanted anything. I would have to wave them down to get a glass of wine! Unacceptable! And the Oceanview was terribly overcrowded. Very hard to ever get a table. We have not experienced that before. Perhaps because it was cold outside and people couldn't be on the decks? I don't know, but not very pleasant. And there were many times that I was almost mowed down by employees in the Oceanview. They didn't vary their course at all, I had to move out of their way. Seemed odd to me.

Cruise director Patty needs to cut back on the coffee! Annoying voice that goes on forever. Shows, average. Cirque de Soleil type show was fun. Brent Nixon, who did the Alaska talks was very informative every time, entertaining most of the time, sometimes more manic than entertaining.

Cruise had way too many port days/hours for us. We knew that going in and thought it might be OK. When you can't be outside at all because of wind and cold what amounts to about three days in port is not enough for us.

All in all, I felt it was not a good value for our money. Flew round trip to Rome last year and spent 11 days on Azamara Quest for less than I spent for this Alaska cruise. Way better service and ports.

Publication Date: 08/14/13