Carnival Dream Cruise Review by lderochi: Good Value Cruise for Family

16 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Good Value Cruise for Family

Sail Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral (Orlando)

Also just off the Dream W. Caribbean. I'll try (no promises) to post a longer review later, but just some general stream of consciousness comments, in no particular order:

1. FTTF -- well worth it. Embarkation was a breeze. Priority tender into Belize was a godsend. And on the few occasions I went to the service desk it was nice to walk right up.

2. Food -- MDR was eh. The taste was good, but the service and portion size was below par. Lobster on the first elegant night was only slightly larger than a couple of large shrimp. The Lido Deck dining was actually quite good for lunch. Tried the buffet, grill, pizza, tandoor and deli. Pizza was very good, as was Deli. did not try the pasta bar or mongolian grill. Steakhouse food was very good. But they completely overcooked one steak, and it took forever to have a new steak prepared. So as a result everybody else's food got cold. But they were very apologetic (not enough to knock a few bucks off the price, but still very More aplogetic about it. )

3. Room -- We were very happy with our aft balcony on Deck 7. Larger than I expected. Steward was very helpful with ice requests, etc.

4. Entertainment -- Dancing in the Streets was very good. Get Ready was energetic but just never connected with the audience. We enjoyed listening to the Blackjack Band most evenings while having a few drinks. The piano bar guy, and I can't stress this enough, CANNOT SING. I am not kidding. Just walking past him was painful. Every.Single. Night. The comedy was very good, much to my surprise -- I'm kind of a snob about the standup that I like.

5. Cozumel -- Did Mr. Sancho's pay as you go and it was all the kid's favorite day. Adults enjoyed it as well. Nothing spectacular, just a nice beach day. Not crowded, as the Dream was the only ship in port.

6. Roatan -- My son and I did diving at AKR and it was a great dive, even if I had to cut the second dive short for my own reasons. The non-divers just went to Mahogany Beach and were not impressed.

7. Belize -- Cave Tubing and Ziplining was a lot of fun. Independently booked with .com and they did a very professional job. It is a LONG day, with a lot of walking and sweating, so be prepared.

8. Costa Maya -- To everyone in our 8-person group's surprise, we all loved this port. Half of the group went to Mahahual for shopping, meandering. The other half went to the beach and got some great snorkeling in. The village was great, very friendly. The vendors were definitely out in force, but "no thanks" was all it took. Great silversmith shop, bars, etc. But Carnival needs to rethink this port for this itinerary. A shore stop between 7-2 just doesn't make any sense. Especially after the stop in Belize, where many people do some relatively high-energy activities and end up wanting to sleep in a little later the next day. Still, a great stop.

9. Miscellaneous -- FWIW, unlimited internet is available, not limited to a certain amount of minutes per day or per cruise. Also, my 14 year old son, who is 2 months away from turning 15 was able to get into Club O2 with his cousin. Just made a polite request during the registration process. No problem. Both teens really enjoyed the club -- it runs VERY late into the night. There were certainly lines, and the pool deck on sea days was packed, but it was manageable. I was always able to find someplace to sit and read a book out on deck. Hot tubs were lukewarm tubs, and always seemed to be crowded.

Overall, it was an enjoyable family cruise, certainly good value for what we paid. Less

Published 08/11/13

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review: 8M7463 Aft-View Extended Balcony

7463. Aft extended balcony. Nice size. King bed and full sofa. Balcony size was very nice, allowed several people to gather at the end of the day. The only down side with being aft was that in the morning you really heard and felt the engine as the ship was maneuvering into ports.

Read All Aft-View Extended Balcony (8M) Reviews >>

Canopy Zipline

cave-tubing.com was VERY well run, great service at almost half the price of the Carnival excursion. It was a very long day, though, and people should really keep that in mind. It was hard work for some members of our group. Had a shot of cashew wine before the excursion and a nice tamale dinner after, all for $70. The ziplining was great. Tubing was a little anticlimactic. Very crowed in spots, but but it thinned out.

Cave-Tubing Adventure

Read 1394 Costa Maya Reviews

On our own, we went to Mr. Sancho's and did the pay as you go option. The kids loved the waterpark area (note that these were all teenagers, and they still had a blast). Good snorkeling, really good food (especially the guacamole). A few people got a temporary tatoo for $25/each. The restrooms/shower/changing was very clean. Service was very attentive. The cab ride there is a little pricier than one would expect. $32 roundrip.

Read 4530 Cozumel Reviews

Scuba Diving

Great 2 tank dive at Anthony's Key Resort. Great service, even if it was a little rushed. Price was in line with all of the other independent bookings I looked in to, and I knew AKR would do a good job so I just went with them. The other members of our group went off to Mahogany Beach and weren't terribly impressed.

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

lderochi
Member Since 2013
16 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X