Carnival Dream Cruise Review by lderochi

Cabin Category: 8M
        16+ 5.0
Value-for-Money 5+

Good Value Cruise for Family

Also just off the Dream W. Caribbean. I'll try (no promises) to post a longer review later, but just some general stream of consciousness comments, in no particular order:

1. FTTF -- well worth it. Embarkation was a breeze. Priority tender into Belize was a godsend. And on the few occasions I went to the service desk it was nice to walk right up.

2. Food -- MDR was eh. The taste was good, but the service and portion size was below par. Lobster on the first elegant night was only slightly larger than a couple of large shrimp. The Lido Deck dining was actually quite good for lunch. Tried the buffet, grill, pizza, tandoor and deli. Pizza was very good, as was Deli. did not try the pasta bar or mongolian grill. Steakhouse food was very good. But they completely overcooked one steak, and it took forever to have a new steak prepared. So as a result everybody else's food got cold. But they were very apologetic (not enough to knock a few bucks off the price, but still very aplogetic about it. )

3. Room -- We were very happy with our aft balcony on Deck 7. Larger than I expected. Steward was very helpful with ice requests, etc.

4. Entertainment -- Dancing in the Streets was very good. Get Ready was energetic but just never connected with the audience. We enjoyed listening to the Blackjack Band most evenings while having a few drinks. The piano bar guy, and I can't stress this enough, CANNOT SING. I am not kidding. Just walking past him was painful. Every.Single. Night. The comedy was very good, much to my surprise -- I'm kind of a snob about the standup that I like.

5. Cozumel -- Did Mr. Sancho's pay as you go and it was all the kid's favorite day. Adults enjoyed it as well. Nothing spectacular, just a nice beach day. Not crowded, as the Dream was the only ship in port.

6. Roatan -- My son and I did diving at AKR and it was a great dive, even if I had to cut the second dive short for my own reasons. The non-divers just went to Mahogany Beach and were not impressed.

7. Belize -- Cave Tubing and Ziplining was a lot of fun. Independently booked with .com and they did a very professional job. It is a LONG day, with a lot of walking and sweating, so be prepared.

8. Costa Maya -- To everyone in our 8-person group's surprise, we all loved this port. Half of the group went to Mahahual for shopping, meandering. The other half went to the beach and got some great snorkeling in. The village was great, very friendly. The vendors were definitely out in force, but "no thanks" was all it took. Great silversmith shop, bars, etc. But Carnival needs to rethink this port for this itinerary. A shore stop between 7-2 just doesn't make any sense. Especially after the stop in Belize, where many people do some relatively high-energy activities and end up wanting to sleep in a little later the next day. Still, a great stop.

9. Miscellaneous -- FWIW, unlimited internet is available, not limited to a certain amount of minutes per day or per cruise. Also, my 14 year old son, who is 2 months away from turning 15 was able to get into Club O2 with his cousin. Just made a polite request during the registration process. No problem. Both teens really enjoyed the club -- it runs VERY late into the night. There were certainly lines, and the pool deck on sea days was packed, but it was manageable. I was always able to find someplace to sit and read a book out on deck. Hot tubs were lukewarm tubs, and always seemed to be crowded.

Overall, it was an enjoyable family cruise, certainly good value for what we paid.

Publication Date: 08/11/13