Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by smollie20: The Good, the Bad, The Ugly

The Good, the Bad, The Ugly

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We booked this just two weeks before we left and I thought I had done my research but either I am way too picky or didn't read the reviews correctly.

First the Good- Wonderful Entertainment. Jamie and Sin are not only great at their jobs and just so funny. The magician JP was the best I have ever seen adn again we laughed and laughed.

The bad- eating in the dining room. All the food is tasteless and I am not sure what they call beef is really beef. It was grey with grill marks and tough. All steaks including something called mignon was no more than 3/4 inch thick. They tried to help but the 2nd steaks were worse than the first. Everybody kept saying I should pay for Cagney's if I wanted a good dinner. By the end of the cruise the dining room was never very full.

The ugly- the buffets. I am not sure of the flavor because it was never warm. Everything was cool and soimetimes downright cold. I wondered if it was safe to eat if not kept at a certain temp. The More good again- never really had problems with lines. Very well organized. The Bad- Could have had better food at Denny's, Applebees any chain. small room, no sports bar.

We did have a good time but I would never go on NCL again due to the food. I want to be treated to something special and that did not happen. I must mention the wonderful Jewel dancers and singers. Great Great job. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel 5100

5100 was great because many times we just walked down the hall and off the ship and the same for coming back on.

Mendenhall Glacier

(5.5)

Rode the local express bus and the driver was Thomas. Great fun

Misty Fjords Flightseeing

(5.5)

Did the float plane on a whim. Treat of a lifetime

We did the train on our cruise before. We just walked around which is just a bunch of stores. We stopped at a Cafe and a local recommended going to the play which is one hour and costs $20.00. It was a good choice and made our day,.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews

Butchart Gardens

(5)

The ships do not give you much time at this port and we missed the first bus out and took the 4:45 and we were done by 7 but due to schedule we got back to the ship at 8:30. It all worked out but I probably should have just spent the money on the boat and took a direct tour. Loved the Gardens. It was the main reason we went on the cruise.