Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by First State Cruise Gal: RC Grandeur of the Seas--3 STARS

First State Cruise Gal
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

RC Grandeur of the Seas--3 STARS

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

This is my first review, 2nd cruise. I think it's important to know the demographic of the reviewer so others can determine if a review would apply to them. That being said: I'm 44, married, mother of 3 teen boys. Income level $100K plus. Love to play and relax on a cruise. Love Fine Dining on a Friday night at home and my toes in the sand for a relaxing day away. This was my 2nd RC cruise and let me FIRST say, I LOVE RC as my cruise line. I haven't sailed others but feel no need to as I overall feel I get great service(s) from RC. My first cruise was Explorer of Seas to Bermuda and would give it 5 stars overall.

PROS: (1) The specialty restaurants--DO IT! Spring for the extra $ to eat at Chops, Giovannis Table and Izumi. The food is EXCELLENT and a break from the "banquet" food prepared en masse in the dining room. The service is a step above and the quality of dining is 5 steps up. (2) Entertainment. First rate, not campy or amateurish. LOVED every show. (3) SPA--Do it! More Spring for a MASSAGE. First rate services, good as anything I've received on land. (Hubs had one and he agrees). (4) STAFF--love them! Very friendly and easy to get to know if you make the effort to connect with them, which, BTW, always leads to extra special service. Now the CONS: (1) This ship is smaller and each venue is smaller (theater, bars, Centrum). There is no promenade for parades. I preferred the Explorer of the Seas because of the size difference. This became less irritating as the week went on, yet it would definitely KEEP ME FROM GOING BACK on this particular ship. (2) PORTS--I will comment in details below, but these 3 ports were not for us. I would not recommend this cruise because of these Ports.

BOTTOM LINE: Go cruising with ROYAL CARIBBEAN just carefully consider this cruise because it is a smaller ship and the PORTS are underwhelming to say the least, especially if you've been to BERMUDA or another truly beautiful tropical spot. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 4705

We discovered on this cruise that we are done with Interior Staterooms. Again, check our demographic above but if you don't like the "closet" feeling, save an upgrade to larger room. Also one other thing--hated the shower curtains on the Grandeur. The Explorer had shower doors. The curtains are creepy and stick to you in the shower, YUCK! Room was clean though and housekeeping was outstanding. Never had to ask for anything.BAHAMAS: Have no need to go back--touristy and not that pretty. Pick Bermuda over this trip.

I grudgingly give this 3 stars just because if the weather is great you can sit and tan and enjoy the pretty water. This is RC private island. It felt more like a private money gauging center. EVERYTHING costs here once you get off the ship (Except a mediocre BBQ lunch) If you want to snorkel, $29. Water slide, $30. Rafts-$? Not sure how much but they weren't free. I'm surprised their weren't meters on the lounge chairs and hammocks. Come on RC, tack a price on the front end and don't stick us at every turn to enjoy your "private Island" Make sure you bring water shoes because beach is stony in places. Have no need to go back and re-do. Sorry, RC. However, your staff is lovely and you handle the tendering with great efficiency.

Read 245 CocoCay Reviews

PRO: Eat at Fish Lips. It's not far from Port and had fantastic Lunch (The food is very important to us on a cruise. We like GREAT food: Fresh, innovative, different. We are not burgers and chicken fingers folks)
CON: Port Canaveral is really just a place to stop so cruisers can go to Orlando resorts. The other thing to do is Kennedy Space Center. However, we've done that once and didn't need to do it again. Cocoa Beach is a depressed area. There are a few quaint shops downtown which we hit. The beach is nothing special AT ALL. I would recommend skipping this and getting reduced price SPA services on the ship unless you plan an excursion to Orlando/Space Center. RonJon Surf shop is a good way to kill an hour and get a good souvenir. We all agreed we have no need to ever return here again. If you do need to kill time, make sure you rent a car. HERTZ was great and reasonable and you can catch a shuttle right from the parking lot. 2 STARS (Only because of Fish Lips)