Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by Minideb: 3 Generations go to Alaska

3 Generations go to Alaska

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

This was my mothers third cruise and our first. Grandmother with daughter and niece. Grandmother (83) with limited mobility meant that we rented a handicapped suite. The room was perfect. The bathroom in need of repair. The Stateroom attendant Fernando Luna was the BEST. He was always available and always aware of my mother's limitations.

The windjammer offered more options than the dinning room. The lack of respect for the dress code was shocking. When my mother cruised on The Cunard SS France the dress code was formal every night. In 2000 on the Millennium it was shirt and tie for the men . Dresses for the women. Eating in the Windjammer I expected to see shorts and T-shirts. Making an effort to go to the dining room and seeing people in Jeans and T-shirts was not what we expected. But the daily newsletter stated Suggested wardrobe. The Maitre D' did not dare send anyone back to their rooms to dress for dinner.

We never had problems finding something good to eat. More The Tea Time in the Windjammer was a big plus and obviously not common knowledge.

My mother had her hair done in the spa salon and although it was double the price she pays on land she was very well taken care of and she looked Marvellous.

The Park Cafe in the Solarium was the best place to sit and enjoy a snack with a view. The staff at Park Cafe are most polite and deserve to be recognized.

Don and Jessie Boy in the Cascades dining room are also top notch.

With unlimited water, ice tea and lemonade as well as Tea and Coffee we found no need to purchase a drink package.

The availability of fresh towels from 7a.m. until 10 a.m. meant that I took a towel at night to use in the hot tub at 6 a.m. as none would be available for those of us that are early risers. I really liked the fact that the Solarium is open 24 hours. I think that they could kill the endless loop bird soundtrack.

I would not hesitate to travel with this cruise company and crew again. Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Radiance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Radiance of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 4 4006

4006 is a handicapped stateroom with two beds and two bunks that drop from the ceiling. One is over the beds and the other is over the couch. The bunk was really comfortable . I am 5'6" and I could sit upright in bed and read by the light that is in the ceiling.The bathroom tiles were broken and their was mould in the shower. The access to this room is greatly hindered when the attendants roll out their trolleys. The hallways are not wide enough for a wheelchair to pass. Thankfully we could fold the chair and have the occupant walk a few steps. Otherwise we had to wait for the carts to be moved or take the other elevators . Access from the closest elevators meant that we had to cross a threshold that was not wheelchair friendly. Requiring going over backwards or lifting the front of the chair.

Good shopping . Crafts made by locals.
Free WI-FI at the base of the Zip line.

Mendenhall Glacier

(5)

This was the best deal of the cruise. Get off the ship and pay the $16.00 return fee for the Blue Bus to the Glacier.The visitors centre fee is $3 per person. Walk the trail to Nugget Falls and get up close and personal with the Glacier. Allow 4 hours to really enjoy all the points of interest and walk the gated boardwalks. We came face to face with a three year old male black bear. We also saw two baby bear cubs in the trees. The bus driver gave commentary on the way to the Glacier. Including the fact that the stores on the waterfront belong to the cruise lines. Even thought they have signs in the window that say that they are locally owned.

Get off the boat and look for the Walmart free shuttle. One every 10 minutes to and from the store.
Check out their huge Alaska souvenir section and find t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc at 1/2 the price of the Dock side shops.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(5)

A walk back in time. These old train cars bring you back to the 1960's. Free bottled water on board. Great assistance for a handicapped person including our own rail car. Taking the afternoon trip at 12:45 meant that the 290 of us from the ship had no worries as we were delayed the ship had to wait for us. Incredibly views. Extremely comfortable and bathrooms in the cars.