Royal Princess Cruise Review by icas2: Royal Princess is Underwhelming

Royal Princess is Underwhelming

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I had high hopes for the Royal Princess. However, I was disappointed by several things. The rooms are too small, even the suites. Our mini-suite was comparable to a standard double on other ships and the balcony was completely unsatisfactory......so cramped and crowded even with just two chairs. No wonder they would not allow more than two passengers in the rooms. What were they thinking when they designed the ship? To sink nearly $1 billion into a flawed designed is wasteful and appalling, and the clone ship (Regal) will have all the same flaws.

Also, be prepared to be nickel and dimed a lot (gelateria, crab shack, seafood terrace, specialty restaurants with views of the lifeboats instead of the sea, etc.)--none of these were included in the fare.

Room service was not worth bothering. The theatre was small and uninspired.

The absolute two worst things were the Internet cafe staff and the price gouging on Internet service and the shore excursions. The More Internet cafe manager was very unhelpful and rude, like a Little Napoleon. He failed to address the problems that we had with poor internet service for which I paid $200. The last straw with this guy (Serge was his name) was when he outright refused to help a Spanish family print out their plane tickets. He just sat there at his little desk twiddling his thumbs and looking like an unfriendly toad. My wife ended up helping the family. This Serge's attitude sticks in my mind and leaves me with a very unfavorable memory of this ship.

By all means, avoid anything with the term "connoisseur", like the shore excursion in Rome....$400 per person for a substandard tour that neglected to let us see any of the paintings by Raphael or Leonardo da Vinci....they just prodded us right on through the whole museum.

Another disappointment with the ship's design is the front of Deck 16. What should have been a nice place for passengers to look outside from behind an enclosed space has been turned into a private Sanctuary enclave, costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars extra to use.

No thank you, Princess. This was my first and last time on your ship. The Celebrity Solstice class ships are much nicer, and represent a far better value to me. Less

Read more Royal Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Royal Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Royal Princess

The rooms and especially the balconies are too small.