Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by SailorsMate45: Birthday Disappointment

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Birthday Disappointment

Sail Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Other

We took the family (9 in total) cruising to celebrate my 60th birthday. The kids had arranged for gifts to be waiting in our stateroom upon our arrival, but wanted it to be a surprise. It took them 2 days to ask if I liked them. They were very disappointed when I said that there was nothing waiting for me in the cabin. The hotel said they'd never received the order but promised they would be rectify problem in a day or two plus a complimentary bottle of champagne. Nothing appeared. So my son canceled the order and requested a refund. Two days later I was woken up at 10:30pm by room service delivering a bottle of wine. I knew this wasn't from my family because I don't drink wine. The following day I received a plate of cheese and crackers. Both "gifts" arrived without any explanation. So I went to the front desk, where I was told that they were by way of an apology for the failure to delivery the items ordered for my birthday. I said that there should have been a note by way of More explanation and why deliver at such an odd hour. I was told that as I'd put the do not disturb sign on the cabin door they were left with no alternative other than to deliver late at night which was incorrect, I'd never used the sign. It became clear during the trip that the hotel side of the ship is very disorganized. I had never encountered so many individuals at the front desk with so little knowledge of the workings of their ship. Usually these guys are pretty much on the ball.

There seemed to have been some kind of problems with loading the baggage with hundreds of cases lying around the dock as we boarded. We didn't receive our bags until very late on the first evening. First time I've ever had to go to dinner in the clothes I traveled in.

Far too many teenagers running riot through the ship with little or no control. Did feel that the staff had their hands full there. Lots of noise in the hallways at night. We had to call security on last night as there was a group of people partying on the helicopter pad an area that's out of bounds.

Dining room staff were excellent and very good to the grandchildren. The Windjammer restaurant was a zoo most of the time, a place to be avoided at meal times. Would have been happier with more lunchtime choices to eat.

Not too much to do on the ship if the weather is bad. The evening's entertainment was poor, some of the worst we've seen on any cruise ship.

We're experienced cruisers and we were prepared for "Caribbean" cruising where standards are lower, so all in all we had an enjoyable trip, but it has made us think twice about cruising with Royal Caribbean again. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6

Cabin 7566 Explorer of the Seas was good, plenty of storage and comfortable. Bathroom a little small but adequate, shower pretty good. Wind noise through sliding glass door disturbing while trying to sleep, but wind had to be in certain direction for that to be a problem. Balcony sheltered and quiet

The old naval port, somewhat out of the way, but seems plenty to do there. We took taxi to Horseshoe Bay beach so didn't seem much of the island. Beach was beautiful, supposed to have pink sand, couldn't say that we found it very pink. Found locals to be polite and very helpful. Docks seemed organized and controlled so travelers feel safe in making transportation decisions if not on tours.

Read 125 Hamilton Reviews

Crowded port with 3 large ships in, traffic was grid locked. We'd decided to walk to El Morro and explore. Weather was extremely hot but once at the castle we cooled down in air conditioned theater, staff were excellent and we found it very interesting. Had visited town before but found it much cleaner than previously. Only one beggar in streets which was a pleasant surprise. Great town to walk around, narrow cobbled streets and quaint stores. Lots of history a good town to explore.

Read 1376 San Juan Reviews

This was our shopping port and we were not disappointed. Water taxi's to the town were plentiful and were was no waiting, so being docked a little out of town wasn't an issue. Shopping was good, enough going on to keep the grandkids happy. Most stores offered drinks which was helpful. Again felt safe and found everyone polite and helpful. We were lucky we were the only ship in port this day.