Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Canuker: Free Cruise

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

Free Cruise

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Having got your attention with that subject line, I can tell you that, in practical terms this is a reality. As I write this we are in the middle of the North Atlantic, en route from NYC to Southampton, UK. It is day 5 of a 7 night "crossing" on Cunard's Queen Mary 2.

We decided, because this is Cunard, that we would set our expectations high (we've cruised before with several lines). We are constantly amazed at how those expectations have been met and significantly exceeded on this ship. Being an ocean liner, rather than a conventional cruise ship, QM2 and its staff have a bewildering variety of top-notch activities on board. No belly flop contests here, folks. The word that keeps coming to mind is "elegant". If you ever wanted to be treated like a queen or a king, or wondered what it might be like to stay at the world's best hotels (say, the Savoy in London), without the humongous bills, book a trip - any trip - on the QM2.

So, if it's so darn good, why do I say More it's a free cruise? Top quality theatre and shows, music concerts (we especially love all the jazz on board). If "enrichment" lectures sounds a bit stiff, don't believe it; they are entertaining as well as informative and very well presented; you know, by people who really do know how to work an audio-visual computer presentation. The variety show last night was as good as anything I might expect at the London Palladium; I just wished my British father was there too, he would have loved it, God rest his soul. I confess, I wept as the show proceeded on what must be the biggest stage afloat, all to a (count 'em) 20+person live orchestra.

The planetarium is awesome. The glamour and glitz of the formal nights and the grand balls (there's a disco / live night club too) is a must, even if you never set foot on the dance floor. If I was to price all the events we have been to so far on this cruise, by going to them in our home town IT WOULD HAVE COME TO MORE THAN WE PAID FOR THIS CRUISE. So put it another way, the cruise itself has been a free bonus. I'll leave others to talk of the fabulous food, service and facilities on board.

Our regrets? We have two. Firstly, there is no way we can possibly get to all the events we want to each day. Secondly, we have to get off this magnificent ocean liner in three days time. But we have more to come. The cost of a one-way fare back home is way more than the cruise fare, so we are taking her back to New York! Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>