Carnival Valor Cruise Review by mspeiden

Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Valor 7-28 to 8-4

We flew into SJU a day early and stayed at the Marriott Stellars Casino Hotel. It is a wonderful hotel. They upgraded our room to the 19th floor and we had a corner room with a balcony wrapped around out one window is a beautiful pool are and out another is the ocean. We slept with the doors opened and it was wonderful. We stayed around the hotel and San Juan is noisy and crowded but the hotel we stayed at was great.

Day 1 To the ship

Left the hotel at 12 and was on the ship by 1:15. Easy quick boarding. BUT around 4pm we wanted to go in the hot tub but they were not opened. A lady who

started her cruise in Barbados came on and was mad she wanted to know why the hot tubs was not opened and after she argued with them they opened it up. At one point we went to see Old San Juan there is a free trolley but when it arrived it was so crowded so we just went back to the boat. Ate in the dining room. The service was wonderful the food is good.

Day 2 St Thomas

We took a cab downtown and went to the ice bar. It is a bar that has ice sculptures and the whole thing is made of ice. It is really cool (no pun intended) They give you a parka and gloves and you get a shot of rum and a shot glass to take home. It had sculptures of fish iguanas, They had a throne you sit on My butt was cold after that and a small slide. It is really weird to think you are in the Caribean in an ice bar. We shopped and headed back to the boat.

Day 3 Sea Day

Puttered on the boat. Played bingo ate, drank, swim, sun.

Day 4 Barbados

Again a cab A side note why is it so crazy to get a cab in these islands, They know you are coming why don't they just line them up and be ready to go. Eventually we got a cab and we went to Carlisle Beach. Not too far from the boat a 5.00 cab ride 15.00 for 2 chairs and a umbrella and we swam and snorkeled to our heats content. Beautiful beach nice sand clear water.

We ate this nite at the steakhouse. I know an upcharge but really really good

Day 5 St Lucia

Again a cab.... There were 4 of us and we paid 40.00 ea for a 4 hour tour of the island. 8.00 ea to see the volcano it was interesting to see. The mud baths looked really interesting didn't do them as I was not dressed properly. and then to waterfall 3.00 admission here. It was beautiful but we were in and out in 10 minutes. We saw a lot of green we just drove around It was beautiful but a long tour

Day 5 St Kitts

We heard this was a poor island and we did not want to head out by our selves so we just did the shops by the boat and came back to the boat.

We had another hot tub incident. This happened before we got in but we were at the back of the boat and there is a sign ADUlTS ONLY someone put a child in the hot tub and the rest of the people asked the parents to remove the child security was called and the child was removed as soon as security left they put the child back in the hot tub.

We arrive not knowing what is going on. and are soon filled in. My opinion here is if it says adults only then that is what it should be .Security talked with the family and came back to the lady making the complaint and said that the grandmother was handicapped and allowed then to be in the hot tub. Here where it got interesting the grand father sat next to this lady and SPLASHED ALL OVER her when he sat down. The family was speaking Spanish thinking this lady did not know what they were saying. It got a little heated on both sides and they both wanted to fill out harrasement papers. BUT when the security guard told the lady that if this continues you both will be asked to leave at the next port I thought that was terrible. I was very disappointed in Carnivals way of handling this. It does not make me not want to sail with them but I think this was handled all wrong and they should be aware of it.I will be sending them an email next

Day 6 St Marteen

We debated what to do here but in the end we took the water taxi over to the beach and sat in the water and sun for 2 hours or so went to Hard Rock and a little shopping and returned to the boat.

Day 7 Embarking

When we were going for breakfast the police were standing outside a cabin not sure what that was all about

We originally booked a san Juan shopping tour as our plane left at 3:15 but it was cancelled due to a protest that was supposed to happen and shutdown the area so we arrived at the airport at 9am for a 3:15 flight. It was a long day but a great cruise

The Washington dining service was excellent. The ship was clean. THe inside cabin was nice. They need to get clocks in the rooms. I hate waking up and not knowing what time it is. I do not like the decor of the Valor. It is not bad I just don't care for it. We saw the magic show in the Ivanhoe theater A+ but I love magic. My husband enjoyed a few late nite comedy shows and we donated to the casino.I liked this cruise but I don't think I would fly out of SJU again. It was 5 1/2 hour flight for us.

Publication Date: 08/09/13