Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by MiamiMarlin

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by MiamiMarlin
Majesty of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Member Name: MiamiMarlin
Cruise Date: July 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: K
Public Rooms 5+

Still in love

I just returned from my 8th cruise aboard Majesty of The Seas (7/29  8/2) and I still love this ship. If you are a seasoned cruiser whose last voyage was an around-the-world trip in the Royal Suite of the 'Gargantuan of the Seas' and are planning to book an inside cabin on deck 2 of the Majesty expecting a similar experience then you will surely be disappointed. However that is not a fair comparison to make. I have sailed once on Voyager OTS and twice on Adventure OTS and I still enjoy sailing on Majesty.

While Majesty is small by comparison to the rest of RCI's fleet, she is not a small ship. RCI seems to think bigger is better but I disagree. A fair comparison would be to compare Majesty with the two other ships that sail from Miami on 3 and 4 night cruises since those are really the choices you have.

All three ships, RCI's Majesty, NCL's Sky and Carnival's Imagination are roughly the same size. I have never sailed on Sky so I cannot compare it, but in November I sailed on Imagination and I still prefer Majesty. I found the decor on Imagination to be dark, especially in the Horizon dining room, which is the equivalent of the Windjammer on Majesty, and in the multi deck atrium. I also prefer the public rooms of the Majesty to those on Imagination. The open deck above the pool on Imagination is lined with lifeboats so the view of the ocean is blocked. On Majesty the view of the ocean from the deck above the pool is unobstructed.

The cheap cabins on Imagination did appear to be larger than those of Majesty, but not by much. Cruise ship cabins are not large, unless you are booking a suite. If you are expecting a cabin the size of a standard hotel room then you will be wrong. They are much smaller. They were cozy on both ships but I didn't have a problem with that. The last place I want to be on a cruise ship is inside my cabin. They are just a place to go to shower and change and to sleep. The rest of the time should be spent ashore, at one of the many activities or relaxing someplace quiet.

Majesty's 3 night itinerary is also better. I prefer Coco Cay to a day at sea. I also see no advantage in spending an entire night in the port of Nassau.

Service wise both Carnival and RCI are very similar. It really comes down to the individuals that you happen to deal with. I found both the dining room staff and the room stewards to be about the same on both ships. When I sailed on Imagination in November I was comparing the food in the dining rooms with my previous RCI experience two years prior and I thought that the RCI food was better. However, after last week's cruise, I no longer feel that way. The quality, quantity and variety of the food on RCI have gone way down since my last RCI cruise two years ago. In both the main dining room and in the Windjammer. So much so that I now feel that the Carnival food is better. RCI now charges $28 dollars for the lobster meal that used to be free and on two of the nights I could not find anything that appealed to me in the choices for desserts. Overall, I would still choose Majesty OTS over Imagination and I'm looking forward to sailing on her one last time before RCI retires her.

I suggest getting on the ship as early as possible. Embarkation begins at 11:30. Also, I would not buy any spa treatments or picture packages ahead of time. There are spa specials available the day of the sailing if you take the spa tour and they also have drawings for free treatments so you are better off waiting to see if the treatment you want is on sale. As for the picture packages, there is a $50 discount if you book them onboard the first day. The quickest way to get off the ship is to carry off your own luggage instead of tagging it and leaving it outside your stateroom the night before, but you'll have to get up early. Disembarkation begins almost as soon as the ship docks around 7am and those carrying off their luggage are among the first to get off. Either way, you'll probably be off before 9.

Publication Date: 08/07/13