Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Jaws62: So-so on the Breakaway

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

So-so on the Breakaway

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

The Breakaway is a gorgeous ship, yes. BUT... NCL really is a disappointing cruise line. Every time you turned around, there was an additional charge for SOMETHING. $12 for a pilates class is bad enough, but an automatic gratuity on top of that? $1.50 for air hockey? These sound like small charges, but they are everywhere. Spa services cost more than they were advertised---I experienced that first hand and heard others grumbling about the same. Have not experienced that on other cruise lines. It might have been cheaper for us to go with a luxury line once everything added up.

The staff was great on the Breakaway, and for that I do compliment NCL. Everyone was helpful and friendly.

The whole free style concept seems to be an invitation for many people to dress like slobs. NCL does not enforce the very minimal dress code they say they require in the Manhattan Room. People were seated no matter what they were wearing. We definitely missed having a formal night. Although More we did get slightly dressed up on the night that was listed as "formal optional" night, we were the minority.

Ocean Blue was ok. Not worth the $50 extra, though. It's very pretty but that's about it. My meal was not as temperature hot as it should have been. Oysters were the same price we pay on land--- no bargain there (and that's above and beyond the $50 cover charge... See what I mean?).

I give NCL a "C" at best. Less