Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by gypsies101

Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: South Pacific
Cabin Category: 8G
See More About: Carnival Spirit Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Great Ship, Great Crew, But Needs A Little Work To Be Better.....

I would like to mention a few good points and a few not so good. Firstly, boarding the ship was hassle free and took no time to get onto the ship. Once we were onboard, we were welcomed by half a dozen crew members welcoming us onboard. We departed on time and Sydney harbour looks magnificent. Our cabin was an extended balcony stateroom which was larger than our previous cruise on the P&O Pacific Pearl. The only negative in the cabin is only 1 AUS 240 Volt power point, so I would advise you to take a Power Board with you if you wish to charge Camera / Video or Phones / Tablets etc. batteries. As for the Restaurants, we were extremely happy with the Empire Room & The Buffet section, The Buffet area had a lot more variety of foods compared to P&O, with 24/7 Pizza, Coffee & Ice Cream you could never go hungry. The entertainment could be a little better, but there was still plenty to do on the ship. As for the ports we visited, Isle Of Pines, Mystery Island, Port Vila, Santo & Wala, I loved them all for different reasons and would do them all again tomorrow. The waiters in both eating areas are so friendly and love Australians, they love to talk to you and we were told that there staff come from 50 different countries from around the world. The staff in all the gift shops could not do anything more to help you, they were fantastic.

The only negative I have about the ship is our Sail & Sign card was deativated as we tried to purchase a cup of coffee, we were told to go to Guest Services which we did. There I was told that our Bank had declined a $3.45 transaction, this was day 8 of our cruise and everything else had gone through with no hassles. I asked the lady behind the counter to call our bank in Australia as I requested to speak with them. She dialed the number and I explained the situation to my bank and was told that the $3.45 tranaction had been approved by them. I was told to come bank in half an hour and it should be rectified. I did so and nothing had changed, I was then told it was a satellite problem on the ship and it would take around 4 hours to fix, in that time I was unable to purchase anything on the ship, No Gifts that we had on hold in the gift shop, No Alcohol, No Coffee etc. Then after 4 hours, it still wasn't fixed and was told that if we wanted to purchase anything, we had to contact Guest Services and they would contact the area we were at and it had to be processed manually, which wasn't ideal.

All in all, we enjoyed the cruise and would certainly do it again, whether it was with Carnival again I am not sure, We did like the ship, Serenity was an over 18's area only which was free, on P&O Pacific Pearl, we had to pay an extra $10 a day to use it. If you have kids, they would love the ship with Camp Carnival and the Water slides and Water Park. A final note, Go with an open mind and you will enjoy your cruise.

Publication Date: 08/06/13